Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax Season!!
The IRS made everyone’s employer change withholdings when the new tax law came out, and some of the withholdings were incorrectly calculated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02-08-2019, 11:07 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Can someone explain how "they" can change the tax code, then hit you with a penalty for not adjusting your withholding that year?  Am I missing something here?

The new withholding calculator issued by the IRS in 2018 did a poor job of calculating withholding. It resulted in a lot of people not withholding enough from their pay, and owing the IRS once the tax bill came due this year. 

I got lucky, as my bonus last year was paid under the old withholding tables and resulted in a refund payable this year. Have already submitted a W-4 to adjust my withholding during this year, as it looked like I would have to write a hefty check in 2020 if I didn't.
That makes sense but Chas mentioned a "penalty". After reading it again, I assume he is actually just referring to additional tax tax owed. And I understand how that will make the financially challenged somehow think their tax rates went up when they file.
(02-08-2019, 02:09 PM)fenders53 Wrote: That makes sense but Chas mentioned a "penalty".  After reading it again, I assume he is actually just referring to additional tax tax owed.  And I understand how that will make financially challenged somehow think their tax rates went up when they file.

Some folks did see their total tax liability go up. Thankfully, I did not. However, people who used to benefit from a lot of personal exemptions and deduct a hefty amount of state and local taxes are those most likely to have seen their federal income tax burden increase.
(02-08-2019, 02:20 PM)Otter Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 02:09 PM)fenders53 Wrote: That makes sense but Chas mentioned a "penalty".  After reading it again, I assume he is actually just referring to additional tax tax owed.  And I understand how that will make financially challenged somehow think their tax rates went up when they file.

Some folks did see their total tax liability go up. Thankfully, I did not. However, people who used to benefit from a lot of personal exemptions and deduct a hefty amount of state and local taxes are those most likely to have seen their federal income tax burden increase.

That was my understanding after reading this thread.  I just read "penalty" and thought "fine" which didn't make sense to me if your employer caused it.  I suppose I should do my taxes soon.  I can't remember the last time I took anything other than the standard deduction, but I do have rental property profit to compute.  Hopefully that hasn't changed significantly.
Fenders,

With your rental property being profitable, you can get up to a 20% deduction on the profit.
(02-08-2019, 06:50 PM)ChadR Wrote: Fenders,

With your rental property being profitable, you can get up to a 20% deduction on the profit.

Thanks Chad.  That is great news.  I did a little digging and saw the big increase in the standard deduction.  That pleases me as it helps some of the people I see in real life at my retirement job.  The folks I mentioned earlier in the thread.  Folks willing to work pretty hard for a lowish wage rather than stay home and look for a handout.  Sure they would be in a better position now if they had a better education, or funded their own retirement like I did, so they aren't in a jam at age at age 70.  But it is what it is and it pleases me when we provide an incentive to make your own way in this world.  I didn't like the trend under the last presidency.  Saw too many able bodied people mooching.  I don't want to see an over-reaction from the current guy.  I think we are on a bad course when we encourage people to stay home because they can't afford child care costs without a big assist at tax time.  I hope things like that stay in the tax law even though I don't benefit a dime from it.   

I need to get educated on taxes before I start drawing from my 401K and multiple pensions in three years.  I have no idea if my rental property and such with still make sense.
(02-08-2019, 06:50 PM)ChadR Wrote: Fenders,

Thanks Chad.  That is great news.  I did a little digging and saw the big increase in the standard deduction.  That pleases me as it helps some of the people I see in real life at my retirement job.  The folks I mentioned earlier in the thread.  Folks willing to work pretty hard for a lowish wage rather than stay home and look for a handout.  Sure they would be in a better position now if they had a better education, or funded their own retirement like I did, so they aren't in a jam at age at age 70.  But it is what it is and it pleases me when we provide an incentive to make your own way in this world.  I didn't like the trend under the last presidency.  Saw too many able bodied people mooching.  I don't want to see an over-reaction from the current guy.  I think we are on a bad course when we encourage people to stay home because they can't afford child care costs without a big assist at tax time.  I hope things like that stay in the tax law even though I don't benefit a dime from it.  It encourages responsible behavior and helps our productivity.  I really need to get educated on taxes before I start drawing from my 401K and multiple pensions in three years.  I have no idea if my rental property and such with still make sense.
Every year around this time I start to question my BEP, BIP, and BPY holdings, as K-1 season comes around . . .
(02-15-2019, 10:38 AM)Otter Wrote: Every year around this time I start to question my BEP, BIP, and BPY holdings, as K-1 season comes around . . .

I used to hate K1's and would avoid buying anything that used them.  Since then, I've stopped doing my own taxes and now I don't care if it's a K1.  It's freeing!
(02-15-2019, 12:06 PM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 10:38 AM)Otter Wrote: Every year around this time I start to question my BEP, BIP, and BPY holdings, as K-1 season comes around . . .

I used to hate K1's and would avoid buying anything that used them.  Since then, I've stopped doing my own taxes and now I don't care if it's a K1.  It's freeing!

Me too....not a big deal the K-1 just makes me WAIT.
(02-18-2019, 11:12 AM)rayray Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 12:06 PM)DividendGarden Wrote: I used to hate K1's and would avoid buying anything that used them.  Since then, I've stopped doing my own taxes and now I don't care if it's a K1.  It's freeing!

Me too....not a big deal the K-1 just makes me WAIT.

Exactly, I used to file asap at the beginning of February.  Now, because of K1's, I file in early April or late March.  No biggie, just a timing shift.