Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting 2019
Anyone going this year?
It's been on my to do list but don't know if I will ever make it. I live about 300 miles from Omaha.
Every year I say I want to go and I never do...
Guys, life is short.
If you want to go then go!

(written on my laptop sitting in the sun in southern cambodia. With a big smile on my face)
(01-08-2019, 10:08 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Guys, life is short.

(written on my laptop sitting in the sun in southern cambodia. With a big smile on my face)

It's like getting a chance to see Elvis or attend Woodstock but we're all just too busy lol.  I should buy a share of BRK and take wifey for a long ride.  She'd look at me like I'm weird if I suggested it.  She isn't into the stock market even a little but.  But she is OK with my hobby when she sees the statements very occasionally lol.

Why in the world are you in Cambodia Crimson? We tell off color jokes about skinny chickens running for their lives in Cambodia lol.
How does it work exactly? Is it like going to a concert and your shares are your ticket? Is there an extra cost? You have to register? Can you even get a hotel room at that time?
(01-09-2019, 09:29 AM)Kerim Wrote: How does it work exactly? Is it like going to a concert and your shares are your ticket? Is there an extra cost? You have to register? Can you even get a hotel room at that time?

A close hotel would surely be at a premium.  Omaha isn't huge.  I think your shareholder status is your ticket to the show.  Presentations in a large hall like a convention.
I just found this helpful information.

I happen to have my daughter with me that weekend, so it is an unlikely trip for me, but I'll mull it over some more -- would be a great experience.
A few of us went last year, (which fell on my wife's BIRTHDAY weekend), she agreed to go and it was one of the best trips we ever took! In fact, I was outvoted and yes, my wife, voted to go again to Berk2019. If Omaha, NE didn't get so damn cold we would put the city on our retirement list--that's how much we loved the place, it truly is an epitome of a Midwest city. Great people, great restaurants, great overall city and a top notch Medical/Hospital network--I'm always telling my wife if there is no really good to great medical network within a reasonable driving distance don't even think about putting that area on our retirement list--I had cancer at age 36--I'm almost 11 years out from it now. I've met people commuting 3 plus hours for their cancer treatments...I remember thinking my gawd that can mean the difference between life and death.

Anyways this is what Berk2019 is going to cost us:

Airfare: 383 RT per tkt

AirBnB: 94 per person (5 of us)

total: 477 per person

That comes to a total of 2385 between airfare and lodging for the 5 of us. It helps to plan ahead and shop around, we met people that were spending thousands and thousands of dollars. We met a kid who spent 1k flying in from Chicago, CHICAGO! The weird thing is that our flight goes through O'Hare.

We looked at Hotels within walking distance but they were about 450 to much higher per night.

Of course, I didn't include food and booze--I'll let you know after the meeting! LOL We don't stop

The Berk meeting is not a boring meeting, it's an exhibit that consists of every product or company that Berk owns/invests. At the beginning, after the short film, WB and CM explain that this meeting is for the everyday shareholder NOT for the institutional investor, and that's the way they explain things. Any layperson will understand what they're talking about.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
(01-09-2019, 08:59 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

It's like getting a chance to see Elvis or attend Woodstock but we're all just too busy lol.  I should buy a share of BRK and take wifey for a long ride.  She'd look at me like I'm weird if I suggested it.  She isn't into the stock market even a little but.  But she is OK with my hobby when she sees the statements very occasionally lol.

Why in the world are you in Cambodia Crimson?  We tell off color jokes about skinny chickens running for their lives in Cambodia lol.

It might be very basic here and sometimes things just don't work but it's also very close to paradise on earth. There is no stress here, the nature is beautiful, weather is perfect, everything is ridiculously cheap and you find the most quirkiest of things. I just love it here, so where else would I be? :p
(01-12-2019, 06:26 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 08:59 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

Why in the world are you in Cambodia Crimson?  We tell off color jokes about skinny chickens running for their lives in Cambodia lol.

It might be very basic here and sometimes things just don't work but it's also very close to paradise on earth. There is no stress here, the nature is beautiful, weather is perfect, everything is ridiculously cheap and you find the most quirkiest of things. I just love it here, so where else would I be? :p

California is beautiful and alot of quirky things here.. LOL.
I dont blame you a bit, I have heard from several people that travel to there is is a slice of paradise.
Speaking about California, my wife and I LOVE the Palm Springs area! If we have the funds we wouldn't mind retiring to that area--I just hate paying taxes with a passion.