Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help the old guy start a DGI portfolio
(09-07-2018, 08:55 AM)EricL Wrote: My parents recently rolled over a 401k and were looking for income ideas.

Here is a list of dividend stocks I put together for them for a shopping list:

Sounds like they are in the same current situation, and you and I seem to think alike based on your list.  I want to own some of those companies soon.  Market is heading down slowly and good for nibbling.  I can't sit on my hands forever.  This is fun and like my wife shopping at the mall until I run out of money to invest.  

Today's moves so far...

I have always desired to own MMM but never pulled the trigger due to PE.  It was a lost opportunity for a stable stock in retrospect.  Just sold an OCT 19th 210 put today while it is trading around 212 today.  Maybe l will own 100 shares soon, and if not there is $410 sitting in my account that is mine.  I am very comfortable with this decision longterm.  I'll probably continue to sell puts until the market turns against me and I am "forced" to own MMM on my terms. 

SO ran away from me yesterday.  I have little confidence in share price appreciation so I hope it pulls back and I will grab that awesome dividend.  I love 4.5% dividends but SO competes with XEL for my utility money.  XEL dividend is rarely at 4% but without looking up the stats I think I can safely say XEL price appreciation exceeds SO by 3X and that includes some hard times.  I prefer some diversity rather than go all in on XEL for my total utility investments.  XEL is high now so I wait for a good decision.   SO is clearly being daytraded by speculators now. Random utility companies with no big news do not swing 2%+ per day when the sector is otherwise somewhat stable. Tempted to place my buy orders at my price and go just fishing lol.

I continue to watch T like a hawk.  Let it have another bad week and I will sell a put quick and get in where I want.

This patience thing is hard sometimes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help the old guy start a DGI portfolio - by fenders53 - 09-07-2018, 09:31 AM