Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help the old guy start a DGI portfolio
Sorry my thread title was a bad call.  Yes I am 56.  I intend to fully retire at 60.  I will keep cash set aside for year 60 and 61.  I have pensions that start between now and 62.  One even starts next month.  I was 90% invested in equities for 30+ years.  I can't do that anymore.  Thankful I got by with it but I am too near retirement for that going forward.  Hopefuly that all made sense.   Bottomline is six years from now it would be nice if my port wasn't devasted because I will need to take a LOT of income, or perhaps some income and sell some positions.  I know I need to spill too much personal info for this to make complete sense, but a 4% OVERALL average return the next 6 years and I am good.  Get that closer to 6% and I get a brand new fishing boat and nice used pickup truck.  Smile  I would like an outside shot at that.  Those numbers become harder when half your port is drawing 2%.  That's the reality until the market has a serious pullback and who knows when that is.        

I feel like I can keep some money in tech (and pharma) but I will go easy on individual stocks.   A modest investment in some EFTs for the more volatile sectors works to keep me patient.  I nibbled today.  I do want some individual tech stocks but I see nothing high quality that screams anything near must buy it now.  I'll nibble on a dip and be patient  before I do something aggressive like grab 100 shares of AAPL.  I do feel comfortable with a position like that but it's not likely I am not going to buy a half dozen tech stocks.  Those days are gone if I am not reckless.  I'm not afraid of tech but I best keep it a under 10% of my port IMO.  

I am good with my utility thoughts.  I sleep well at night and if you average in on dips buy the stock price appreciates well enough to add to great dividends you can count on.  Utilities have made many of my other ideas look bad for 30 years.  Just can't buy the annual highs, and try to buy companies that can navigate tough times.     

Yeah I know I type too much.  I am pretty motivated right now.  More on topic for this forum is the DGI.  I am struggling with current valuations.  My mind changes some with the wind.  I've looked hard at these consumer staples.  The warhorses of DGI.  2% growth during a good economy with near zero interest and favorable taxes.  Longterm dividend growth looks real sketchy now as there will be recessions.  Tel me why a huge peanut butter company is a good idea?  Smile

I'm more comfortable with some of my other ideas.  WMT is going to fight AMZN hard and they will be OK.  Feeling some comfort with PEP.  Just need a dip for a real entry.   I'll nibble on a few others on my list on the right day.    I am uneducated on REITs. I'll address that.

I could ramble another page but that's enough for now.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help the old guy start a DGI portfolio - by fenders53 - 09-04-2018, 07:02 PM