Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help the old guy start a DGI portfolio
For one, you said that you are too old to wait for compounding. If I remember correctly, you're 56 now? I wouldn't consider that too old, you will hopefully have another 20 or 30 good years ahead of you. That is plenty of time, even if you want to start cashing in on parts of your portfolio sooner rather than later.

But you said that you want something relatively safe and a decent dividend. I would definitely agree with Chad: AT&T has some issues and risks but I'd say it's worth it at this price. As for REIT sector... it has been a difficult one to navigate for me but there are a lot of stable companies with exceptionally good dividend yields.

I'm personally a big fan of water utilities when it comes to stability. You can't really get much more stable than this. No one is going to build a second pipe next to the existing one (it just makes no sense, financially or otherwise) and I find it very unlikely that anyone finds a way to transport water without pipes. At least not a way that could work in a large scale while being cost effective. And it's pretty much recession proof, people might be a bit more careful about how much water they spend but that's it. I own WTR but any of the big ones should be a good investment in the long run, though you need to be careful with the current valuations.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help the old guy start a DGI portfolio - by crimsonghost747 - 09-04-2018, 12:37 PM