Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with too much cash?
2.6% for 19 months.  $1000 minimum.  And it is a US bank.
Sorry for the late reply but....

Short Term CD ladder (3, 6, 9, 12 month duration)(Yield 2.10, 2.25, 2.40, 2.55 as of today)

Or ETF's:

BIL
USFR
VGSH
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
What about several CD's that come due in different increments? If I had a large pile of cash waiting to be deployed for a home purchase that's what I'd do with it.
That's what RobandCindy is suggesting when he said "ladder". Until we get closer to the end of FED increases it would be a little crazy to do it any other way with a substantial amount of cash. Seems to me there is a real good chance a quality CD will pay a full point higher in about a year, of very nearly so.
oops lol....I was using my phone and somehow missed the CD advice!
Well, here is where I am at.
The cash that I currently have, at least the large majority of it, stays put. Simply because I couldn't find any decent currency hedges and I don't want to be over exposed to the currency risk.

As for the monthly cash deposit that was previously going to this cash account, I made a plan to throw it into T-bills, CDs or corporate bonds. Whatever feels like the right move at the time of buying. One purchase every 3 months with a maturity of 1 year. So looks like October/January/April/July for both purchases and maturity dates.

This way I get an acceptable interest rate and the money will start to become available at regular intervals after 1 year. Funnily enough, the first set of T-bills will hit maturity around the same time as my current employment contract ends... and surprisingly the amount that I'm putting into these on a monthly basis is roughly the same amount that I imagine needing to live for a month. A massive coincidence or is somebody possibly planning on taking a year off? :p
Sounds like a mini-retirement. Good for you if you can finance it properly. I did that for 3 years bit it ends real soon. Hopefully Home Depot is hiring Smile