Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking investing with friends/family?
Most everyone that knows me is aware that I am passionate about investing. I converse with a few of them regularly. In the early days I was in an investing club. That went well for a few months until they figured out it wasn't a lotto ticket and some work was involved. One of the more rewarding things I ever did was bully a dozen of my military subordinates into spending a few hours with me one on one learning the very basics of what they could do with their 401K plan. Our HR dept was horrible so they needed help. I assessed their risk tolerance and told them how they might allocate among the index funds. I thoroughly explained the short term risk of stocks. Most of them increased the contributions and ten years later they are appreciative. Now and then they see me and tell me they are still on course. Several of them passed away and their families wives were better taken care of.

Beyond that this requires a little work to educate yourself to any level of true understanding, and many are just not interested. They'd rather spend time watching Netflix or arguing about politics.

And I agree with Ken. If you started investing 10 years ago and only bought under performing stocks you are way ahead of most others.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Talking investing with friends/family? - by fenders53 - 12-25-2021, 10:44 AM