Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checking up on your investments
Hey Jeffrey -- I keep a pretty detailed spreadsheet of my portfolio holdings and dividends. How often I open it up and update it with current prices and other information depends on what is going on in my life and in the market. I recently went through a lot of life turbulence and didn't update it for over a year. (And was delighted to find everything humming along just as I had left it, only with larger dividends!) Other times I'm really focused on the market and I'll update part of of it every day or week.

"Don't look on prices" is generally good advice if you're the type of person that might be tempted to sell if prices drop hard. On the other hand, if you are still building your portfolio, you'll have to watch for those drops to identify good buying opportunities. My sense is that most DG devotees are pretty calm, if not happy, about price drops (except maybe those really nearing or in retirement). I guess as in all areas of life, it pays to know yourself and build systems accordingly. I'd also love to hear how others approach this question.

Messages In This Thread
Checking up on your investments - by jeffreyalan - 03-01-2018, 02:38 PM
RE: Checking up on your investments - by ChadR - 03-01-2018, 03:14 PM
RE: Checking up on your investments - by Kerim - 03-01-2018, 03:21 PM
RE: Checking up on your investments - by lucas03 - 03-06-2018, 01:54 PM