Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your best and worst of 2017?
Out of curiosity, what were your best and worst investments of 2017?

For me it was NVDA as the best and GE as my worst performers.
BA and GE.

Luckily, the gains did offset the losses by quite a margin.
I think GE will be most of our worst investments for 2017. It was mine. Best was probably AAPL.
Best: MSFT
Worst: OHI (Bought right before the lawsuit-stuff and sold with 10% or something loss)
Let's answer the same question in 10 years, until then it's just about the share price. But I certainly don't want to ruin the game!
Best: bought BA still in 2016, so it doesn't countSmile Abbvie, VFC, Grainger and Magna. Still happy about MO, WSM, XOM, LOW, HD.
Worst: altough I'm almost even, Foot Locker. OHI is a big minus, but I'm still happy about it.
(01-02-2018, 05:55 PM)Binary Wrote: Let's answer the same question in 10 years, until then it's just about the share price. But I certainly don't want to ruin the game!
Best: bought BA still in 2016, so it doesn't countSmile Abbvie, VFC, Grainger and Magna. Still happy about MO, WSM, XOM, LOW, HD.
Worst: altough I'm almost even, Foot Locker. OHI is a big minus, but I'm still happy about it.

Binary Foot Locker will continue to be a great stock heading into 2018. I own myself and added more at $33. 

My biggest winner were  V, UNH, HD, SWK and TXN

I'm hoping MO, CVS and XOM are my big winners in 2018
Depends how we look at it.
Overall the best I had in my portfolio has to be RTN, though I've owned this company for a number of years. If we look at companies that I started buying in 2017, then AMAT has to take the cake. And while I've owned AT&T even before 2017, I'm sure that my decision to add more T at a price below $33 will bear fruit in the coming years.

Worst: This is easy. No matter how we look at it, OHI. It's the only one in my portfolio that is currently showing a loss. But I don't mind owning OHI, in fact I'll probably add a little as long as the price stays low.
My best buys in 2017 were:
BA: +77%
COR: +60%
VFC: +41%
FB: +37%
HD: +37%
AZO: +33%

My worst buys in 2017 were:
DLTH: -20%
SKT: -3%
D: -1%
AMT: +6%

Hope 2018 is as successful for me!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(01-03-2018, 12:33 AM)EricL Wrote: My best buys in 2017 were:
BA: +77%
COR: +60%
VFC: +41%
FB: +37%
HD: +37%
AZO: +33%

My worst buys in 2017 were:
DLTH: -20%
SKT: -3%
D: -1%
AMT: +6%

Hope 2018 is as successful for me!
Hey Eric you bought DLTH. What was it the commercials that got ya LOL. Hopefully that stock can come back now with tax reform.

Regarding D. I own as well and I am not liking the deal today. 14 Billon debt.... Buying a failed company with law suits. Hmmm buying Scana makes no sense to me. I may sell today and put it into AEP. 
(01-03-2018, 09:30 AM)divmenow Wrote: Hey Eric you bought DLTH. What was it the commercials that got ya LOL. Hopefully that stock can come back now with tax reform.

Regarding D. I own as well and I am not liking the deal today. 14 Billon debt.... Buying a failed company with law suits. Hmmm buying Scana makes no sense to me. I may sell today and put it into AEP. 

A new Duluth Trading Company opened up where I live and I was really impressed with the quality of the product and the feel of the store. It was also quite busy while I was there. The company has a strong on-line business and is now expanding its physical footprint with new stores across the country. I thought it was worth throwing $500 at it to see where it goes.

As for D, I think selling would be a big mistake. They picked off SCANA at a bargain price and the deal will open up a new, growing, region to Dominion's service territory.

Here is the presentation from D: http://investors.dominionenergy.com/stat...618e902fc7

The deal is immediately accretive, and is expected to bump D's growth rate to 8%+ going forward. I don't know many 4% yielding utilities around growing at a high single-digit rate with 10%+ dividend growth. If you know of another, please let me know! =)
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Non-DGI allowed without getting kicked out Wink

Best move: Getting into crypto space during the summer because the latest craze took over. Overall crypto portfolio is up 4x, with one of my tokens (only ICO I participated in) 9x.

Worst move: Too many (about 4 of them) speculative precious metal exploration company bets
(01-05-2018, 10:39 AM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Non-DGI allowed without getting kicked out Wink

Best move: Getting into crypto space during the summer because the latest craze took over. Overall crypto portfolio is up 4x, with one of my tokens (only ICO I participated in) 9x.

Man, well done. I never really had faith in those, I played with bitcoin back in the day... I mean... years ago. And I know I still have like 0.01 somewhere but I can't remember where Big Grin

But no, I never expected them to become this big. Not by a long shot. I see a little bit of potential in some of them but there really is so many to choose from. What sort of a strategy did you use? I've been pondering about just $50 or $100 into 10 different ones, all of which are under $1 each. And then just wait and see.  But this I wouldn't even call investing, it's lottery at best.