Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Willy Portfolio
Hi guys!

After reading LOTS of books, I started buying my first DG-companies in July 2017.
GOAL 2017: build a 10k portfolio with a YOC 3,5% and hopefully a dividend growth of 10% further on.
I'm pretty happy the way it turned out.

With the whole "Amazon effect", I bought some nice undervalued retail companies at an attractive price.
The problem I'm having at this moment is an overweight in the Consumer Discretionary sector.

Does anyone have some feedback or thoughts?

I'm looking forward to your opinion.

Best,
Greg

[Image: FreeWillyPortfolio_20171220.PNG]
Lots of big brands there, looks like you're off to a great and safe start!

Do you have any goals for 2018?
(12-20-2017, 11:29 AM)jdiv Wrote: Lots of big brands there, looks like you're off to a great and safe start!

Do you have any goals for 2018?

Thanks jdiv !
Well, I'm playing with the thought of diversifying the portfolio more with European companies. (I'm from Belgium)
For now I would like to mix between a DGI and Peter Lynch strategy.
Goal to receive around 600$ in dividends in 2018.
I try to invest 400€ every month, this is possible with a low transaction fee of 1,5€.

I'm still learning how to have a proper grasp on reading financial statements and interpreting them.

If you have any good advice, please feel free to share  Shy
When starting out with your portfolio, don't worry about being overweight in a sector. In 10 years or less, the Consumer Discretionary sector will be normal size. Future purchases will lower the size. And buy where the value is not what is underweight when starting out with your portfolio. You have a great start. 3.12% yield with over 13% of your holdings not paying a dividend is very nice. I own 9 of the same stocks that you do. Keep up the good work.
(12-20-2017, 12:12 PM)ChadR Wrote: When starting out with your portfolio, don't worry about being overweight in a sector.

This.

In the early days of building your portfolio, I really think the best thing to do is put your money into the best opportunities available to you, even if the weightings are unbalanced. Worry about that when the portfolio is much bigger.

I explain this idea in more detail, with illustrations, in maybe my favorite post of mine on the whole forum (so far!). It talks about weightings of stocks in your portfolio, but the logic applies just the same to sector weightings.

(And really nice graph, by the way, Greg! Is that excel? I'd never thought about putting the totals at the top, but I'm going to give that a try myself!)
thanks a lot guys for the feedback!!

@Kerim
It's Google Sheets, based on a template from 'twoinvesting.com' and then customized it completely
(12-22-2017, 11:19 AM)Kerim Wrote: In the early days of building your portfolio, I really think the best thing to do is put your money into the best opportunities available to you, even if the weightings are unbalanced. 

I explain this idea in more detail, with illustrations, in maybe my favorite post of mine on the whole forum (so far!). It talks about weightings of stocks in your portfolio, but the logic applies just the same to sector weightings.

Excellent point (first sentence), and I do love that post of yours!