Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi All!
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a Canadian living in the US and in my early 30's. I have been investing in stocks since ~2009 and have been a dividend growth investor for a few years now. Funny story, I started towards the bottom of the recession when the Prime Minister of Canada (the equivalent of a president, it was Stephen Harper at the time) said on the news it was an excellent time to invest in stocks. He actually got a lot of criticism for his comment as people thought he was being insensitive... But his comment did spark a light in my head.

I started as a value investor after reading the Intelligent Investor. I realized after a few years and after reading several other books that value investing may not be a strategy that can be applied in all market conditions. A friend of mine lent me the book titled Sensible Stock Investing. After reading more articles written by its author, David Van Knapp, I realized that dividend growth investing was actually a strategy that could be more easily applied and that could really help me achieve my objectives.

So here I am. I hope I can contribute to this community and exchange ideas with like-minded people.

Cheers,

Marc
How about that timing. I was too young and stupid in 2009 but I can only imagine what the difference would have been if I started back then instead of 2012.
Good luck on your journey!
(12-17-2017, 06:46 PM)MarcN Wrote: I realized that dividend growth investing was actually a strategy that could be more easily applied and that could really help me achieve my objectives.

Amen! That's one of the best features of DG. I basically ignored my portfolio for the past year, and it's just humming right along doing what it was built for.

Welcome to the forum, Marc.
Welcome!

And congrats on starting your investments that early, I didn't start to think about saving for retirement before I passed 30 years old myself
Welcome!