Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ventas
What are your thoughts on Ventas at this point as it continues to go down?   I have been looking to either add to my position or buy some call options on this stock.  I've noticed most Healthcare facility real estate stocks have been in a downtrend.
Sell a put instead and get paid to wait.
Looks like the baby is being thrown away with the bathwater.
Does anyone recommend ETFs on this space? I don't want to be buying individual REITs anymore (non tax sheltered account), but would love to invest in these names right now.
Rases the only ETF I would buy Is the he Vanguard REIT ETF - VNQ

Top 10 holdings:

Simon Property Group Inc SPG 5.23%
Equinix Inc EQIX 3.76%
Prologis Inc PLD 3.66%
Public Storage PSA 3.47%
AvalonBay Communities Inc AVB 2.60%
Welltower Inc HCN 2.59%
Equity Residential EQR 2.55%
Digital Realty Trust Inc DLR 2.49%
Ventas Inc VTR - 2.3%
(01-09-2018, 11:33 AM)Rasec Wrote: Does anyone recommend ETFs on this space? I don't want to be buying individual REITs anymore (non tax sheltered account), but would love to invest in these names right now.

You might be on to something here.  What about Long term care ETF - ticket OLD.  It is still heavy in VTR and HCN though.  Top 10 holdings:

Ventas Inc (VTR)
19.30%
Welltower Inc (HCN)
19.12%
Orpea SA (ORPTongueAR)
4.78%
HCP Inc (HCP)
4.44%
Senior Housing Properties Trust (SNH)
4.42%
Sabra Health Care REIT Inc (SBRA)
4.07%
Omega Healthcare Investors Inc (OHI)
3.97%
Ryman Healthcare Ltd (RYM:NZC)
3.89%
National Health Investors Inc (NHI)
3.69%
Chartwell Retirement Residences (CSH.UN:CAQ)
3.11%
Brookdale Senior Living Inc (BKD)
2.25%
LTC Properties Inc (LTC)
2.10%
Aedifica SA (AED:BRU)
2.09%
Korian SA (KORITongueAR)
2.08%
Amedisys Inc (AMED)
1.90%
That ETF actually looks interesting. Then again, it's mainly compromised of REITs but the dividend payments and the P/E level certainly don't reflect that. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.
I just bought Ventas today. Solid yield, close to 52 week's low, P/FFO is around 15 which is also quite OK. Exceptional management (Cafaro is quite well known), they seem to know their market pretty good as they timed the skilled nursing exit very well (and a good price BTW), they are well diversified otherwise. I hope that no more tiny dividend raises will happen, such as this year.
rising rates.. inflation increasing.. investors not sure where reits fit in to all of this.. But be careful with these names. They could be the worst performers in 2018. But I have to tell you it is tempting to buy some of these name. I wont go crazy but I may add a few names this week in the sector.

We'll see if the trend line at 55 holds. I might nibble if it holds and goes higher.
(01-10-2018, 03:00 PM)NilesMike Wrote: We'll see if the trend line at 55 holds. I might nibble if it holds and goes higher.

VTR, O, SO, and D all look interesting to me at this time.  If they are down again tomorrow I will probably purchase.