Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon, Google and Tesla's Phenomon
I tell ya, I don't think I ever remember when three companies particularly Amazon and Tesla can create so much disruption. Tesla has yet turned a profit and it's valued more then Ford! Amazon just has to adjust itself in place and the market implodes! Okay, I'm exaggerating on that one; however, with the recent buyout of Wholefoods it shows what the market thinks of Amazon as a company. Amazon buys Wholefoods and all of sudden the other supermarkets/pharmacy's are dead in the water--way overblown, IMHO. Has the game changed? Maybe, I don't know, rather then changing it might change faster because let's be honest the game was going to change regardless. The idea of walking in, placing items in your cart and walking out the store with no registers is just a matter of time. As a child I remember when cash registers were operated by union employed women, who had pensions, yes pensions, they also had bluish and pinkish hair depending how they dyed their hairdo's lol. There were no scanners, the items were plugged in by reading the price tag off the actual product. Now, we have cumbersome self-checkout lanes. It makes sense the next step is register-less stores, why not? It would be a lot better then these self-checkout lanes.

I can see where Amazon is going to make Wholefoods different, but how? Is it going to put the Kroger's, Giant's, Wegman's, Weis's, CVS's, Walgreen's et al out of business? My question is why would it? If any of these businesses refuse to change with the times they're out of business regardless, even without Amazon. We have a Wholefoods, and go there either out of complete convenience or for some specialty item. I'm not paying for overpriced "locally" grown apples when I can pick up the same apples for half the price someplace else. Another question, is Amazon going to change the corporate feel or the image of Wholefoods? Let's face it, Wholefoods, Wegman's and the likes of Sprouts are markets that have a certain feel, they attract a certain crowd that are willing to pay a higher price. Just because Amazon buys Wholefoods doesn't mean that it's going to be a smooth transition, maybe it will, maybe it won't, I don't know the answer. But if you believe the market, believe the hype, then all the grocers are dead and soon to be "Going Out of Business".

The same thought can be applied to Tesla vs all the other automakers...driverless vehicles is going to happen.

The only thing in life that is constant is change.

I'll embrace all the changes except when someone tells me that all they want to do is implant a communication device into my body, LOL. Yea....I can see this happening too : /
(06-17-2017, 08:14 AM)rayray Wrote: I'll embrace all the changes except when someone tells me that all they want to do is implant a communication device into my body, LOL. Yea....I can see this happening too : /

Elon Musk (speaking of Tesla) is already working on his Neuralink, which is implanted brain interfaces...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuralink
Wish AMZN wasnt so damn expensive

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
There's just no chance for traditional retail to keep up...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/20/15837...re-you-buy
(06-20-2017, 07:01 PM)Rasec Wrote: There's just no chance for traditional retail to keep up...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/20/15837...re-you-buy

Retail sure seems difficult. For example Target looks very tempting with current valuation and record high yield. On the other hand I don't want to buy low and sell high, personally I have very long term horizon and want to buy quality to hold "forever", can live with fair valuation. I also won't even consider Amazon before it sports a growing dividend with a meaningful yield  Big Grin
(06-19-2017, 09:25 AM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 08:14 AM)rayray Wrote: I'll embrace all the changes except when someone tells me that all they want to do is implant a communication device into my body, LOL. Yea....I can see this happening too : /

Elon Musk (speaking of Tesla) is already working on his Neuralink, which is implanted brain interfaces...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuralink

Government money is the only water floating Musk's boat. Without gov money he'll sink. Gov would love neurological control.
Well, I'm convinced it's just a matter of time I'm going to wake up one day and Jeff Bezos will be sleeping between my wife and I....probably by 2020.