Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which to Buy -- Opinions Please
I haven't made any purchases in a while, and it is time to deploy some cash. In another thread Horace reminded me that "the best time to invest is when you have the money." That makes sense to me whenever I hear it, though I've no idea how grounded in fact it is.

Anyway, I'm thinking in the next couple of days I'll pick up some shares in one or two of the following:

KO, MCD, TGT, PG.

I think TGT is the frontrunner here, but I'd love to hear opinions.

Thanks!
I would rank them TGT, MCD, KO, PG.

Long TGT and MCD in my 401k.

I really think Target is a great long term hold. Really well run company and a decent valuation right now.
I'm a big fan of KO. I did a recent analysis showing almost 10% compounded annual growth in EPS, net profits and revenues over the past decade. Same goes with the dividend and they have a very long history with 51 consecutive years of increasing dividend payments. Also with the weakness in the market today, KO is selling at a decent price. Not a huge bargain but possibly about as good as you are going to find with such a strong company.

Really though, all of your companies listed are great dividend growth companies. I think over the long run there really isn't a wrong decision to be made by adding any of those companies to your portfolio.
Hey Tom --

I agree that it would be hard to go wrong with any of those. Given all of the recent praise here for TGT, I'm going to dust off my analysis of it and start a dedicated Target thread. I'll try to get to that tonight, but it may have to wait until tomorrow.

Otherwise, maybe there is some other way to break the tie. Would these all be new holdings for you, or do you already own some shares in all or some of them?

I've been hoping for a pullback to pick up a few shares of MCD myself -- I think the price is ok right now. I also agree with Dan that you could wait forever for KO to give you the entry price that you want. With it below $40 at the moment, it might be as good a time as any.
Thanks everyone. I was leaning toward Target from the start, and Kerim's write up in the other thread pushed me off the fence. Off to the brokerage account to pick up a few shares.

Tom
Nice, Tom. Talked myself into it as well. I've been itching to make a purchase lately -- it has been a while, and have some cash to deploy. So I decided to take the plunge with TGT, to the tune of 25 shares at a price of $71.00 even. If the price declines from here, I can add to my position and lower my average price per share. I haven't owned Target yet, and it feels good to initiate a new position. It is my 20th individual company. Good luck to us both!
Walmart (WMT) doesn't look too bad at its current price either.
I think you made a good pick with TGT, it's at the top of my list. Ex-dividend is 8/19 so you got it just in time.
Eric I agree with you on WMT. I was going to buy it about 2 years ago when it dipped to $49, but was focused on WAG at the time and let it slide. I have thought of selling a little WAG (I have a ton) and splitting it up between WMT and TGT but I can't make myself do it.

I absolutely hate going in the store though. I've been in Walmarts all over the country and it's consistently the worst shopping experience ever conceived. We got one here about 18 months ago, been in there a few times and I swear people get stupid the minute they walk in the door. Groups of 5-10 people just standing around BSing clogging up the aisles, teenagers hanging out, people slamming into you with their carts, or lone shoppers staring out into space like they just had a lobotomy.

The last time I went to my local Walmart was over the 4th of July. I had seen the ads for their angus steaks and thought I'd give them a shot. I get to the meat section and there's two fat people blocking out the whole thing just staring at the steaks; not looking them over like they might buy some but staring at them like they were trying to figure out what it was. $15 a steak, I told my wife let's just go to Longhorn for that price and we did.

Babies are born in Walmart, people get stabbed in Walmart, I honestly think some people live in Walmart. Probably need their own police force in some of them. Mostly cheap Chinese junk too. It's just the pits, IMO. But they're always packed with people spending money.

And then there is Sam's Club, where people go to graze on the free food samples. I was in one about 5 years ago around Christmas time looking for a new TV and I felt like I was in stuck in the middle of one of those mass demonstrations/uprisings like you see over in Egypt or Greece. Felt like I might need to buy a set of steak knives to fight my way out!

I could go on.
(08-14-2013, 08:13 AM)Horace Cugle Wrote: Eric I agree with you on WMT. I was going to buy it about 2 years ago when it dipped to $49, but was focused on WAG at the time and let it slide. I have thought of selling a little WAG (I have a ton) and splitting it up between WMT and TGT but I can't make myself do it.

I absolutely hate going in the store though. I've been in Walmarts all over the country and it's consistently the worst shopping experience ever conceived. We got one here about 18 months ago, been in there a few times and I swear people get stupid the minute they walk in the door. Groups of 5-10 people just standing around BSing clogging up the aisles, teenagers hanging out, people slamming into you with their carts, or lone shoppers staring out into space like they just had a lobotomy.

The last time I went to my local Walmart was over the 4th of July. I had seen the ads for their angus steaks and thought I'd give them a shot. I get to the meat section and there's two fat people blocking out the whole thing just staring at the steaks; not looking them over like they might buy some but staring at them like they were trying to figure out what it was. $15 a steak, I told my wife let's just go to Longhorn for that price and we did.

Babies are born in Walmart, people get stabbed in Walmart, I honestly think some people live in Walmart. Probably need their own police force in some of them. Mostly cheap Chinese junk too. It's just the pits, IMO. But they're always packed with people spending money.

And then there is Sam's Club, where people go to graze on the free food samples. I was in one about 5 years ago around Christmas time looking for a new TV and I felt like I was in stuck in the middle of one of those mass demonstrations/uprisings like you see over in Egypt or Greece. Felt like I might need to buy a set of steak knives to fight my way out!

I could go on.

Haha. I never said it was a good place to shop, just a good stock to buy Tongue
I find it funny how everyone always likes to hate on Wal-Mart. Seems like everyone hates shopping there and has terrible experiences. Yet the company made almost $17 billion in net profits for 2012 so clearly some people don't mind the stores.

I shop at Wal-Mart every week. Not a big fan of the crowds but as an owner of the stock, I enjoy seeing the steady stream of consumers walking out the doors with cartloads of merchandise!
Oh and I forgot to mention 9 times out of 10 you have to park 1/4 mile away. It's a friggin' madhouse and I hate shopping there but just bought a little at $74.10.