Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ETF - talk me off the ledge
@crimsonghost, not sure your comparison is apt. I am referring to index fund investing in general (the benchmark itself) and not referring to active managers/professional investors working at banks/hedge funds/other investment firms. The benchmark index itself does not care whether a month, quarter or year's returns are positive or negative. It is what it is.

@DivWatcher. Whatever way you slice it, dividend growth investing is essentially a "stock picking" strategy. As a dividend growth investor, we are betting that this one particular company can perform better than its peers and the argument taken to an extreme -- beat the market. Of course, we are not naive enough to think that, so we hedge our bets by diversifying our picks and mitigating our portfolio risks.
I personally dont think I am smart enough to beat the whole market and while dividend growth investing makes sense, index investing via funds also makes a lot of sense to me -- which is why I follow a a more multi-pronged approach. Part of my portfolio is in DG stocks and part of it in index funds -- so essentially I am hedging my investing strategy.

The last sentence in my previous post refers to a small subset of microcap companies that are not tracked by index funds. If there were indexes that could track it, I would do it...but until then, I am happy to pick stocks Smile

Messages In This Thread
ETF - talk me off the ledge - by navyasw02 - 01-28-2017, 08:55 AM
RE: ETF - talk me off the ledge - by ExDripper - 02-03-2017, 11:13 AM
RE: ETF - talk me off the ledge - by Roadmap2Retire - 02-05-2017, 09:08 AM
RE: ETF - talk me off the ledge - by rayray - 02-05-2017, 11:38 AM
RE: ETF - talk me off the ledge - by cannew - 02-07-2017, 07:18 PM
RE: ETF - talk me off the ledge - by navyasw02 - 02-10-2017, 08:54 AM