Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One more new kid on the block;)
Hello All, glad to join the crowd of GDI investors. I'm a European guy in my very early 30's interested in the financial world and investments. I'm still in the phase of building my dividend portfolio and aim to get a steady income stream to partially or fully cover the expenses of my family. As I'm just a newbie in this world I may ask a lot of dumb questions, but the goal is to learn and also be able to contribute with some - hopefully good - stock ideas.
Welcome to the board Binary!

Looking forward to hearing a lot of "dumb" questions from you! =)
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Welcome Binary -- very glad you found us and joined up! Ask away!

Kerim
Welcome to the board.
(01-19-2017, 09:02 AM)Binary Wrote: Hello All, glad to join the crowd of GDI investors. I'm a European guy in my very early 30's interested in the financial world and investments. I'm still in the phase of building my dividend portfolio and aim to get a steady income stream to partially or fully cover the expenses of my family. As I'm just a newbie in this world I may ask a lot of dumb questions, but the goal is to learn and also be able to contribute with some - hopefully good - stock ideas.

GDI= Good Dividend Investors,
         Greedy Dividend Investors
         Or??

I know, I know, typo, not pickin, just funnin. Welcome lots of great stuff here.
Welcome, nice to have more Europeans abroad. Have you figured out any framework as to how you will split your investments between the north american companies and european ones?
(01-19-2017, 04:25 PM)Jimbo Wrote:
(01-19-2017, 09:02 AM)Binary Wrote: Hello All, glad to join the crowd of GDI investors. I'm a European guy in my very early 30's interested in the financial world and investments. I'm still in the phase of building my dividend portfolio and aim to get a steady income stream to partially or fully cover the expenses of my family. As I'm just a newbie in this world I may ask a lot of dumb questions, but the goal is to learn and also be able to contribute with some - hopefully good - stock ideas.

GDI= Good Dividend Investors,
         Greedy Dividend Investors
         Or??

I know, I know, typo, not pickin, just funnin. Welcome lots of great stuff here.

GloriousWink
(01-19-2017, 07:51 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Welcome, nice to have more Europeans abroad. Have you figured out any framework as to how you will split your investments between the north american companies and european ones?

Until now it's 100% US-based companies, but global players. European companies are not so keen on constantly raising the dividends now. Only company which is European and I'm looking at the moment is UL, but I need to figure out first the different taxes of different countries in the EU which is a mess. So frankly I wasn concentrating 99% of my attention to US based stocks.
What's your experience with European stocks?
I'm a lot like you, the large majority of my stocks are either from the USA or Canada. I've been trying to sneak some European ones in, but so far with very little success. I just don't see Europe being in a good position to have large and succesful companies, there are so many rules&regulations and in most countries the high taxes are also an issue... couple that with a very poor economic growth and I don't really see Europe as a good place to be for companies.

What does bother me a little about our way of doing things is: income is in another currency than the one we are using for everyday expenses. So that brings a lot of fluctuation... and the EUR/USD exchange rate has been making quite large moves so it does bring in a lot of uncertainty.
(01-20-2017, 06:48 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I'm a lot like you, the large majority of my stocks are either from the USA or Canada. I've been trying to sneak some European ones in, but so far with very little success. I just don't see Europe being in a good position to have large and succesful companies, there are so many rules&regulations and in most countries the high taxes are also an issue... couple that with a very poor economic growth and I don't really see Europe as a good place to be for companies.

What does bother me a little about our way of doing things is: income is in another currency than the one we are using for everyday expenses. So that brings a lot of fluctuation... and the EUR/USD exchange rate has been making quite large moves so it does bring in a lot of uncertainty.

Right said! And now the fun part for me is that I get paid in EUR (because I work for a German company), but live in Hungary so I spend my money in HUF. Now add USD investments... you see all the fun, right?Smile On one hand it's madness to track this, but hey, I'm currency-diversified even if I don't want to beSmile I just stopped caring at exchange rates - long-term it somewhat averages out.

I was quite happy that UK removed dividend tax up to GBP 5000 / year, but then Brexit happened and look what happened to the GBP. It's this kind of mess that bugs me in Europe, somehow you can't have a long-term plan because everything constantly changes, in several countries tax law is being changed every bloody year...

BTW which country are you from?
I actually get paid in USD while spending in EUR, that's why I think it's a bit risky for me to have most of my investment income in USD too. I see the EUR getting weaker and weaker, which would be a good thing for me, but as you said anything can happen in this continent. Big Grin For the moment I'm happy with the 10% increase in pay since I started my new job. Big Grin But I'd certainly like to have a decent dividend income in EUR eventually, just to be sure that the currency issues don't mess up my plans.

Currently I'm a bit all over the place but planning to settle down in the Netherlands soon.
(01-19-2017, 09:02 AM)Binary Wrote: Welcome to the block! Lots of of ideas and sound thinking parked here--take a spin and you'll see ;-)

Ronn