Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Website: DGI for the DIY
(01-04-2017, 12:30 PM)EricL Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 02:38 PM)rayray Wrote: Browsed your new site, Eric, nicely done!!

Thanks rayray, glad you liked it!

(01-04-2017, 12:23 PM)jdhansen Wrote: Love the new site.  Makes me wish I had more money to deploy.

Thanks, I think it is beginning to round into shape, but still have a long ways to go to get it to where I think it can be. As to lack of funds, I totally know your feelings. I dropped the last of my cash last week on ABT, and am anxiously waiting for the next cash to hit the account so I can buy some more!

Why did you add all the advertisement garbage on it? Especially the advertisements in the middle!!!  Totally takes away from the homey feel of helping dividend investors. It now looks like all the other greedy sites out there now.  Sorry for the rant but you had something good going there at first.
(01-19-2017, 09:43 AM)KTMarty Wrote:

(01-04-2017, 12:23 PM)jdhansen Wrote: Love the new site.  Makes me wish I had more money to deploy.

Thanks, I think it is beginning to round into shape, but still have a long ways to go to get it to where I think it can be. As to lack of funds, I totally know your feelings. I dropped the last of my cash last week on ABT, and am anxiously waiting for the next cash to hit the account so I can buy some more!

Why did you add all the advertisement garbage on it? Especially the advertisements in the middle!!!  Totally takes away from the homey feel of helping dividend investors. It now looks like all the other greedy sites out there now.  Sorry for the rant but you had something good going there at first.

Marty,

I responded to your comment on the article, and have adjusted locations for advertising. It's a delicate process to navigate trying to balance between generating some revenue for the many hours of work I put into it, and trying to still keep an enjoyable site for readers.

I've struggled with how far to take things, and already had blocked several ad types that I personally feel are offensive or too flashy. 

In short, its a balance I'm trying to figure out, the site is less than a month old and will go through some growing pains. I appreciate you reaching out to share your feelings, negative comments are often more useful than good ones to make things better.

Have a great day,

Eric
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(01-19-2017, 09:43 AM)KTMarty Wrote:

Why don't you use Feedly or another aggregator? 

How do bloggers get paid when someone reads content through an aggregator btw? @EricL, do you know? I never thought of it.
(01-19-2017, 12:10 PM)Rasec Wrote: Why don't you use Feedly or another aggregator? 

How do bloggers get paid when someone reads content through an aggregator btw? @EricL, do you know? I never thought of it.

I don't use them because I don't know what either Feedly or an aggregator are. Are those e-mail handling systems? My e-mail follower system is just whatever came with Wordpress, I haven't set up any new widgets or anything to handle that.

The only way I get paid anything is if someone clicks on a link for one of the Adsense ads or if they click through to the Amazon website and buy something. I make nothing off of page views, just clicks, and there hasn't been many of them at all through the first three weeks. I think I'm up to about $6 in ad revenue thus far, which when compared with the many hours I've put into it, isn't much, basically pennies per hour. I don't expect to get rich from doing this, I'm just hoping to get enough revenue to pay for the annual maintenance costs of running the site.

To your second question, I don't believe bloggers get paid anything when their work is read through an aggregator. It's simply a way for their content to get read and hopefully build a following for their work, which drives future readers to their site. I haven't used anything like that, I'm just working through social media myself and cross-marketing with my efforts on Seeking Alpha.
Good work! Looking forward to watching it (and you) progress!

Ronn
(01-23-2017, 07:27 PM)ronn38 Wrote: Good work! Looking forward to watching it (and you) progress!

Ronn

Thanks Ronn!
I added a post last night talking about dividend payout ratio. I've seen people talk about using it for an initial screening method, and it got me thinking about my spreadsheets and how companies have a wide range of targeted payout ratios.

Dividend Payout Ratio: Is It Relevant?

Spoiler alert, I do think it is relevant, but it needs to be looked at the context of other metrics.

Thanks.
(12-25-2016, 11:41 AM)EricL Wrote: Hey all, just wanted to share that I am putting together a new website called DGI for the DIY [www.dgiforthediy.com], which stands for Dividend Growth Investing for the Do-It-Yourself investor............................

Hope you enjoy!

Eric

What a beautifully done website! I added it to my favorite list of dividend investment bookmarks. Thank you for the time and effort you've obviously put into this site and for sharing it.
(02-03-2017, 11:08 AM)ExDripper Wrote:
(12-25-2016, 11:41 AM)EricL Wrote: Hey all, just wanted to share that I am putting together a new website called DGI for the DIY [www.dgiforthediy.com], which stands for Dividend Growth Investing for the Do-It-Yourself investor............................

Hope you enjoy!

Eric

What a beautifully done website! I added it to my favorite list of dividend investment bookmarks. Thank you for the time and effort you've obviously put into this site and for sharing it.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!
Posted a new blog today breaking down a comment made by Chowder on Seeking Alpha. 

Discusses: dividend reinvestment, staying invested, quality over valuation, and staying focused on long-term results rather than short-term price swings.

Chowder's Investing Words Of Wisdom, Part II
Last night I finished a big update to the DGI For The DIY site by adding a section on the Dividend Growth 50. The DG50 was a project by Mike Nadel that asked ten authors from Seeking Alpha (myself included) to select their best 50 "all-occasion" DGI companies for today's market. Mike then took those picks, invested $25,000 of his own retirement savings into them, and turned them into his new version of the Dividend Growth "Nifty Fifty". He now regularly provides updates on this portfolio and documents its progress.

I've been wanting to add more permanent content to the site for some time, and after talking things through with Mike, felt this would be a good project to highlight and introduce to more readers. I think the premise behind Mike's work was an excellent idea, and am thankful he asked me to participate in it as one of the collaborators.

With this web page my goal is to explain the history of the project and its progress to date, and to show the effectiveness of creating a diversified portfolio of high-quality dividend growth companies for new investors. I will continue to add links to Mike's articles as they are published, and think this should be a nice resource for dividend growth investors looking for ideas on building their own portfolios.

Enjoy!
Saw it last night
great compilation, thanks