Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie investor
Hello all,
First about myself im 27 with steady income and job security. I noticed i have been hoarding cash in various bank accounts with no benefit or purpose. Its not much but i feel its enough to start without major disadvantages. So i took 1K usd and opened a motif account(9.95 per motif) with two portfolios one dividend focused. Now i took 1k usd and opened a tradeking account(4.95 per w/first $500 free) to have a 8-12 stock portfolio filled with good $10-30 dollar dividend stocks consisting of the following:
24% - ETFs
20% - 5/10 years aristocrat
15% - Internationals
15% - Banks
10% - Reits
8% - IPO or Young promising
8% - High Risk High Reward

I have been doing countless research but so many conflicting strategies and such. I just want a growing portfolio to assist with the old and retired life. Any tips or words of advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SCV32 using Tapatalk
Hi and welcome. Glad to have more and more relatively young people join us!

I think you're off to a great start, just keep pouring in small amounts each month and I'm sure that the portfolio and your income will grow with time.

For some advice: You're young and, as far as I understand, the amounts are relatively small so I can see why you like to have some more risky ones there. However IPO/Young promising pretty much sounds exactly like high risk, high reward... so essentially you've got around 16% of your investment in quite risky areas. It sounds like a pretty high percentage to me, especially since often companies like that don't really have a great history of a stable and rising dividends... that's if they pay a dividend at all.

And since you have 30+ years until retirement, I think you could pretty easily reach your goal with a little less risk.
Thanks sir i just spent my entire day combing through my list of stocks/etf and i think i have my foundation set at 11 not many HRHR stocks in my opinion but i will post my portfolio in the forum next week after buys

Feel free to post it now. Wink
Here goes nothing draft #1:
HSBC, CSCO, AFSI, DIV, ROL, BAC, SIR, LVL, RPD, CARA, & UBP

(10-22-2016, 08:03 AM)blkflm6888 Wrote: Here goes nothing draft #1:
HSBC, CSCO, AFSI, DIV, ROL, BAC, SIR, LVL, RPD, CARA, & UBP

I'm only familiar with HSBC here and think it's a good buy.
If I were seeking to add more capital at this point I feel LLOY is at a more attractive valuation (but with added risk).

Take a look at dividend growth stocks such as; MCD, JNJ, MO, DIS, which I feel are at decent valuations right now although not screaming buys.

What country are you from? If you're European you might want to consider;
NXT,WTB

If you fancy some risk try: BVIC,GRG, EZJ with EZJ being very high risk/reward.

Lewys
Thank-you dividenddrangon im american. Being young and capital is not overflowing i cant really aim for bluechips. My strategy is to go for contenders and work from there.

Welcome blkflm!
Welcome, 6888. Looking forward to your input.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Thank you all