Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O
With this morning's drop, Realty Income is now nearly 20% off the 52-week high and has passed the magical 5% yield mark.

I think there could be a bit more of a pullback to go, but at 5% it starts to get interesting.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I prefer to buy it at 6% myself, I hope it'll get there soon Smile
The REITs are nowhere close to bottoming. I'm very slowly accumulating, because no one can really know a market. But my accumulation is very slow. Actually this month I added to a couple of REIT funds, but overall trimmed my overall REIT weighting by about 5% when selling HCP last week.
Alex
You'll see the bottom after the first interest rate increase is announced. After that they will start coming back.
Right now, O and STAG are both buys IMHO. They may fall more but starting or adding here will be a long term winner.
Novice question here.

O obviously has a very appealing dividend, but why are we so interested if the company has a p/e above 40?

Just curious what the logic is. Someone educate me!
(07-14-2015, 11:31 AM)notexactly Wrote: Novice question here.

O obviously has a very appealing dividend, but why are we so interested if the company has a p/e above 40?

REITs are generally valued based on Fund From Operations (FFO) rather than the traditional Earnings Per Shares (EPS).
(07-14-2015, 11:38 AM)EricL Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 11:31 AM)notexactly Wrote: Novice question here.

REITs are generally valued based on Fund From Operations (FFO) rather than the traditional Earnings Per Shares (EPS).

So due to this difference, the P/E ratio is inflated?
If this is so, how do we evaluate a company like O? When do we know it's overvalued?
(07-14-2015, 11:40 AM)notexactly Wrote: So due to this difference, the P/E ratio is inflated?
If this is so, how do we evaluate a company like O? When do we know it's overvalued?

The P/E ratio you show is likely correct, it just isn't very relevant for REITs.

Here is an article I wrote last week about the REIT sector. At the time (O) was trading at about 17 times expected 2015 FFO, which I consider about a 6% premium to its "normal" FFO of 16.
Added to O in the past week
I really want to jump in on this O train.

Real bad.

Torn between several different companies though as it is in my Roth. Might just hold out a bit and see what happens with everything going on in the world.