Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set It And Forget It
I've been pretty absent from the forum lately -- life has gotten even crazier than usual in recent months, so there hasn't been much time for internet fun. I haven't even really been looking in on my stocks lately, let alone scanning for new purchases.

This has put me in a position to appreciate anew one of the real strengths of DGI. I think most of us are interested enough in the stock market and in our portfolios that we get in the habit of checking in on the market every day, looking for good value, watching the headlines. But when you buy good DG stocks at good prices, it is really nice to know that you don't have to do any of that. You can ignore the daily noise and fluctuations for days, weeks, months, if need be, and know that your portfolio is out there quietly working away for you. Churning out those dividends every quarter, increasing them (mostly) every year.
Yep, sometimes I get really busy with work and quite frankly I might go for weeks without even taking a look at anything investment related. It's good to know that we don't have to worry about sudden changes in the market. We can concentrate on other stuff and the dividends just keep on coming. Smile
That is such a good feeling. isn't it?

I usually update the spreadsheet when I record the dividends every few days but, as I said elsewhere, by the time I close it, I couldn't tell you what anything was going for unless I was actively searching to put the next pile of money to work. I've also noticed that even when I don't update the spreadsheet for a few days, many are within pennies of when I last updated and then I get thinking what was all that bluster about in the interim.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

That's one of the nice things about the strategy.  It continues growing all on its own, even if one ignores it.