Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Great Analysis
Another great analysis of why what we do here is such a good idea:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3973726-...ears-later

By SA Contributor Bob Wells
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
Wow, the dividend growth portfolio beat by a mile. I expected it to win, but it was only five years.
This is a good read, especially on a day when I'm on the fence about continuing DGI.
(05-12-2016, 01:38 AM)navyasw02 Wrote: This is a good read, especially on a day when I'm on the fence about continuing DGI.

What are you considering switching to?
(05-12-2016, 04:01 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 01:38 AM)navyasw02 Wrote: This is a good read, especially on a day when I'm on the fence about continuing DGI.

What are you considering switching to?

Thinking about going to total stock market index funds for more diversification.
I think 20-25 non-correlated DGI holdings actually provide more diversification than a total stock market index fund. Lots of overlap in there along with plenty of dog stocks IMO.
(05-12-2016, 08:38 PM)NilesMike Wrote: I think 20-25 non-correlated DGI holdings actually provide more diversification than a total stock market index fund. Lots of overlap in there along with plenty of dog stocks IMO.

I agree.  I pulled the first page of stock holdings (roughly 25) in the total stock market funds, most of which I already own as part of my portfolio.

At this point I have most of the top names in my Roth.  My taxable has a mix of the remainders.  I might double own a few positions between roth and taxable for some blue chips.
(05-12-2016, 08:38 PM)NilesMike Wrote: I think 20-25 non-correlated DGI holdings actually provide more diversification than a total stock market index fund. Lots of overlap in there along with plenty of dog stocks IMO.

Gotta agree with NilesMike.  I bet most DGI'ers portfolios are about as diversified as the S&P 500.  If you truly want to diversify, consider real estate, or something outside of the stock market.