Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to build two RRSP (retirement portfolios) for my girlfriend and I
So I'm thinking we will do some mutual fund and ETF investing but that I would like around 80% of each portfolio to be focused on dividend stocks, that can generate a cash flow regardless of the market performance and eventually provide sufficient funds to build the portfolio every month or act as an income stream possibly in our retirement.

So my thought was to build two portfolios with different stocks from this list that I had come up with of potential stocks that I have grouped by similarity. So for example, we may both have a stock from the transport industry but one portfolio may hold TMA (a trucking company) while the other holds CNR (a railway company).

Any thoughts or input on this or the list of potential stocks?

SLF.TO
AFL

RY.TO
TD.TO
BNS.TO
MA

CNR.TO
UNP
TMA.TO

JNJ
XRAY

T.TO
BCE.TO

POT.TO
AGU.TO

ADW.A.TO
BF.B

FTS.TO
EMA.TO
ED

CALM
BG
ADM

ITP.TO
HXL
FAST
SWK

CSL
CTB

GD
UTX
HON
PH
EMR
ABB
JCI

INTC
ORCL
ADP
SVC.TO

AAPL
GOOG

Misc

NKE
DV
HCSG
GILD
There's a lot of companies listed here. My first thought was regarding position size and commissions. You don't need to tell us how much you have, but I'm hoping you're not paying $10 commissions each to buy $500 worth of each company. That's an exaggeration, but you get my point...
(04-27-2016, 09:22 AM)DividendGarden Wrote: There's a lot of companies listed here.  My first thought was regarding position size and commissions.  You don't need to tell us how much you have, but I'm hoping you're not paying $10 commissions each to buy $500 worth of each company.  That's an exaggeration, but you get my point...

I use Questrade so I believe the commission is ~$5. I was thinking $500 for each initial buy, figured as I'm intending to hold for the next ~40 years commissions wouldn't be a big deal (~$70 for initial positions to start the portfolio, would likely make larger additions once the portfolios are going).
Since you're wanting this to generate cash flow and produce an income stream, why is GOOG one of the stocks you are going to put into the plans? Currently it doesn't pay a dividend. Are you expecting them to pay one in the future?
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?...id=2741701
some quick thoughts.

1. Is it really a good idea to build two completely different portfolios? This is assuming that you're the one who is basically building both of them, one for you and one for her. This is of course up to the two of you but I would carefully think if this might not raise some issues later, for example in the event where you pick stocks for her that do not work out. Also, twice the amount of stocks = twice the amount of time to keep up with them, if you plan on doing this.

2. Canadian banks are certainly a solid option and the valuations are quite ok here.

3. I'd definitely consider adding the "basic stuff" (like JNJ, your industrial of choosing, maybe some consumer staples?) to both portfolios. You can of course add more companies from these sectors too if you feel like it and want the portfolios to have different stocks in them.

4. Might want to add some defense names. You have GD there but you could also look into RTX, LHX, LMT, NOC.
I am personally a big fan of the sector, so do take that into account, but I'd have at least 1 in each portfolio.
I like to buy solid US companies that have brands everyone knows about. Plus good dividend growth companies. Think Starbucks, Visa, Mastercard, Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, etc. Even Apple as a consumer & dividend play. I like Microsoft too.
I didn't see a single stock in the list above that compares to AT&T's 7.27% dividend.