Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What an investment-newsletter watchdog has learned
Over on MarketWatch, Chuck Jaffe was commenting on Mark Hulbert shutting down the Hulbert Financial Digest, a newsletter that's been around since I started investing that tracks investment newsletter performance based on their recommendations.

It was an interesting read and a few points stood out to me that we should always keep in mind:
  • ... newsletters would make outrageous performance claims and investors had little to no hope of figuring out if those brags were true.
  • The most important lesson [of the 36 years running the newsletter] is just how difficult it is to beat the market
  • ... if you took the very select group that has beaten the market and looked at them alone going forward, you would find that most of them fail to beat the market [in the future].
I had come to the same conclusions a long time ago and take with a grain of salt all that I read, even over at Seeking Alpha. It behooves us to do our own research and invest on what we believe is the best place to put our money. Just as you can't time the market, you can't be right in all your own choices but over time, you should do OK with a little patience and humility.

The article is worth a read and is located here.

Thoughts?
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Hey DW, good points. I do not take too much faith in alot of what I read, other than here.
I do not care for the way the SA articles have gone (pros &cons) from who?? I will say I look more through the comments for certain readers opinions.
I also am not one for Motley fool as they have multiple posts, for and against the same topics. I will read the article later
I like reading Motley Fool except for their sales pitch articles, I find them annoying and dangerous to ones financial health and try to stay clear. At times I feel they might as well be an info-commercial.

And I'm not sure about SA lately, is it me or does there seem to be some level of disgust among the better contributors and commentators?

Maybe it's me!! I'm waiting for this never-seems-to-be-coming market correction.
Besides Newsletters, the same goes for TV, Radio, Newspaper, Forums and many of the Blogs. Find your strategy and if it works or is working, stick with it and ignore all others.

Being Canadian, the only newsletter I still subscribe to, at the costly sum of $50/yr, is the Connolly Report. He provides a strategy he has followed for 31 years, advice, opinions (many opposing viewpoints), but no recommendations. Having taken his advice and followed his strategy, I'm happy to say our retirement is secure.
(03-13-2016, 10:57 AM)cannew Wrote: Besides Newsletters, the same goes for TV, Radio, Newspaper, Forums and many of the Blogs.  Find your strategy and if it works or is working, stick with it and ignore all others.

Being Canadian, the only newsletter I still subscribe to, at the costly sum of $50/yr, is the Connolly Report.  He provides a strategy he has followed for 31 years, advice, opinions (many opposing viewpoints), but no recommendations.  Having taken his advice and followed his strategy, I'm happy to say our retirement is secure.

I do like the Connolly Report, I've been a subscriber in the past.  Ultimately, do your own research and know what you own and why.
It is truly sad that integrity hasn't followed us into social media.  The "claims of truth" and "pronouncements of facts" on FB that quite easily fail the Snoopes test are amazing (but it is fun to get your friends in the other party riled up)   Big Grin .

Yes, we all need to be careful what "advice" we take in.  Our forum here is unintentionally selective and we seem to do a good job of raising the BS flag when needed.

Similarly over at SeekingAlpha you need to be careful with the "experts".  Here is a list of authors I often recommend to fellow pilots at work:

Quote:Chuck Carnevale**********
David Crosetti**********
Tim McAleenan**********
Chowder**********
Eli Inkrot*****
Bob Wells*
Ray Merola*
Dividend Sleuth
Rose Nose
Eric Landis**********
Mike Nadel**********
Brad Thomas (REIT Guru)**********
Eddie Herring
Doug Meeks
David Hunkar (Foreign Div)
Bob Johnson**********
Norman Tweed**********
Cullen Roche
David Van Knapp**********
David Fish**********(Div Champs Spreadsheet Creator)
Dividends4Life****

Oh look....there's someone up there that lives here as well   Big Grin  Big Grin

Make a plan, do your research, invest wisely....don't look back.

Cheers,

Rob
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
(04-25-2016, 05:55 PM)Robandcindy2 Wrote: It is truly sad that integrity hasn't followed us into social media.  The "claims of truth" and "pronouncements of facts" on FB that quite easily fail the Snoopes test are amazing (but it is fun to get your friends in the other party riled up)   Big Grin .

Yes, we all need to be careful what "advice" we take in.  Our forum here is unintentionally selective and we seem to do a good job of raising the BS flag when needed.

Similarly over at SeekingAlpha you need to be careful with the "experts".  Here is a list of authors I often recommend to fellow pilots at work:

David Crosetti**********
Tim McAleenan**********
Chowder**********
Eli Inkrot*****
Bob Wells*
Ray Merola*
Dividend Sleuth
Rose Nose
Eric Landis**********
Mike Nadel**********
Eddie Herring
Doug Meeks
Bob Johnson**********
Norman Tweed**********
Cullen Roche
Dividends4Life****

Oh look....there's someone up there that lives here as well   Big Grin  Big Grin

Cheers,

Rob

I believe that I follow all of those people.  I gotta say, I can't get enough of Tim McAleenan, especially on his site theconservativeincomeinvestor.com.
(04-25-2016, 06:36 PM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 05:55 PM)Robandcindy2 Wrote: It is truly sad that integrity hasn't followed us into social media.  The "claims of truth" and "pronouncements of facts" on FB that quite easily fail the Snoopes test are amazing (but it is fun to get your friends in the other party riled up)   Big Grin .

David Crosetti**********
Tim McAleenan**********
Chowder**********
Eli Inkrot*****
Bob Wells*
Ray Merola*
Dividend Sleuth
Rose Nose
Eric Landis**********
Mike Nadel**********
Eddie Herring
Doug Meeks
Bob Johnson**********
Norman Tweed**********
Cullen Roche
Dividends4Life****

Cheers,

Rob

I believe that I follow all of those people.  I gotta say, I can't get enough of Tim McAleenan, especially on his site theconservativeincomeinvestor.com.

I agree, Tim is a great follow. I especially like when he delves into the history behind some of the great American companies.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Same, I love the level of analysis and detail he brings to the texts which go beyond the surface in so many levels!
Hey, what about our very own Dividendwatcher and Roadmap2Retire? They both contribute intuitive articles on SA.
My omission was not a a dig....

I was on a layover and needed to get going so I just copied from an email.

My apologies....
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
(05-08-2016, 11:37 AM)Robandcindy2 Wrote: My omission was not a a dig....

I was on a layover and needed to get going so I just copied from an email.

My apologies....

I highly doubt anyone took it that way and if my post came off that way, my apologies Cool