Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reinvestment price?
I've got Fidelity and automatically reinvest all my dividends, but what determines the share price?  It doesn't seem to match either the open or close price at the dividend payment date or even the ex or record dates either.
I wrote the same thing to my brokerage, TD Ameritrade. This was back in September I believe:

Quote:Thank you for contacting TD Ameritrade. We truly appreciate this opportunity to assist you.  TD Ameritrade will initiate the purchase on the first business day following the dividend payable date or the first  business day following confirmation of receipt of dividend funds.  If the combined funds do not total the  purchase price of at least one share, the distribution will no be  reinvested.  On the same day, TD Ameritrade will credit your account with that number of shares, including  fractional shares, equal to your eligible cash distribution divided by the purchase  price per share.  If more than one purchase transaction is necessary to satisfy dividend  reinvestment for  all  participating account, the  per-share purchase  price will be the weighted average price per share for all such shares purchased.  TD Ameritrade may utilize DTC's Dividend Reinvestment Service for certain distributions where it is advantageous to do so.  Dividend reinvestment prices on such transactions will be obtained from DTC and will be distributed to clients when shares have been received from DTC, in most cases 7-10 business days following the payable date.

This would be resolved in the most accurate way if you would simply email the customer service of your broker. They will be able to give you a detailed explanation of how they do it.