Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berkshire Hathaway BRK.a BRK.b
Uncle Warren posted his annual letter to shareholders over the weekend.  Has anyone read it?  Thoughts?

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html
Read it. Nothing of stunning insight that I noticed. Need to re-read it a couple times to see if anything sticks. I do share Mr. Buffets optimism.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I skimmed it, and enjoyed it. Nothing unusual jumped out at me, except perhaps the doom and gloom part about the investing risks associated with our almost certain annihilation from biological warfare. Or something. Other than that, don't count out the American spirit!

What really grabbed me was not the letter, but the solid improvement in revenues and the almost 20 percent improvement in earnings year over year. I bought a lot of BRK-B on the recent dip, and it has become a sizable position for me, but I kinda wish I had bought even more!
(03-01-2016, 10:51 AM)Kerim Wrote: What really grabbed me was not the letter, but the solid improvement in revenues and the almost 20 percent improvement in earnings year over year. I bought a lot of BRK-B on the recent dip, and it has become a sizable position for me, but I kinda wish I had bought even more!

I'm with you, Kerim.  I was happily surprised to see those large gains year over year.  Every paycheck, I add a little BRK.b (Loyal3) and I'm glad that I do.  Smaller position now, but I'll own it forever.
Buying BRK close to 120% of Book Value (the buyback level) is a no-brainer I think. And reading all of Buffett's letters is not only useful but quite enjoyable as well.

He mentioned in previous letters that when he is gone BRK might start paying a dividend. After all, there are not many capital allocators as good as Buffett, so paying out some of that cash flow makes sense if the successor is only half as good as Warren Smile
I really want to get to one of WB's annual shareholder meetings before he's no longer active. Wanted to go this year but was unable to plan ahead with the trip due to other things on my plate.

Did anyone ever go? My father went and thought it was great.
(04-18-2016, 08:43 AM)rayray Wrote: I really want to get to one of WB's annual shareholder meetings before he's no longer active. Wanted to go this year but was unable to plan ahead with the trip due to other things on my plate.

Did anyone ever go? My father went and thought it was great.

I've never been, either, but I have always wanted to.  I'm more interested to see Charlie Munger.  I think he's a genius and want to meet him.