Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early TLH?
Anybody doing any early tax loss harvesting in this drop?  I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and trading some of my positions with others on my watch list that have lost the same or more since I owned.  Prime example is swapping NSC for CMI.
Since most of our investible assets are in IRAs, there's no tax loss harvesting for us.

That being said, no. I have a rough idea what we want allocated to which sectors so I'm not doing very much shifting. If I sell anything, it's because the company is not performing as I had hoped or because we needed to diversify the income stream. I think the last shift we did, which was a few weeks ago for diversity of income purposes, was selling my wife's INTC holdings and putting it into QCOM. I already hold a big chunk of INTC and bought hers back when it was below $20. QCOM had taken a beating and, since I still felt there was some life in their technology patents, decided we'd take the chip and tech intellectual property income from 2 different sources. I'm not expecting QCOM to grow like gangbusters as in the past but be able to slog along as INTC is doing but paying a 4% yield on cost.

Using your example, that would of switched us out of the Industrial->Transportation sector to Industrial->Heavy Machinery sector. I already hold some DE so didn't feel the "need" to shift. My wife already has UTX and EMR in the Industrial sector along with NSC but I wanted to hold a transport in her account. Transports have traditionally been a harbinger of the health of the economy and NSC (as well as the other railroads) has done a fairly decent job of holding down debt, maintaining a conservative payout ratio, and dealing with the loss of coal carriage. If we were to add some more industrials to her portfolio, I'm waiting for GWW, FAST or ITW to drop far enough to be a bargain. That probably won't be until the next recession.

I believe you have more time than us to adjust your portfolio so I don't blame you for swapping out that lower yield for CMI's yummy looking dividend. In either case, I believe you'll just need to be patient for a few years to realize their true value.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I prefer to trim when prices have gone up, not when they've gone down.  Most DG investors don't sell unless as suggested the company runs into serious trouble or has cut the dividend.

ps: I've changed my phrase "Yield On Cost" to Yield on Adjusted Cost (Cdn), or Average Cost.  That's the % figure I really monitor.