Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fortune's Stock Picks Suck
Fortune admits it sucks at picking stocks, touts its 2016 picks.

Regarding the 2015 picks:

Quote:So how’d we do? Let’s just say there are a few picks we wish we could take back. For the year through Dec. 4 (the anniversary of the date our picks went live last year on Fortune.com), our portfolio was down 7.1%, while the S&P 500 was up 0.9%. (Our math includes dividends and assumes an investment of equal amounts of money in each of our 20 categories.)
For those who don't want to slog through the articles and find the link, here's Fortune's picks for 2016.

Stocks:

Transports / Airlines
Delta Airlines (DAL)
Virgin America (VA)

Healthcare
Merck (MRK)
Biogen (BIIB)

Turnarounds/Comebacks
DuPont (DD)
Volkswagen (VLKAY)
Wynn Resorts (WYNN)

Finance
Charles Schwab (SCHW)
Capital One (COF)

Energy
Exxon Mobil (XOM)
TransCanada (TRP)

Technology
Alphabet (GOOG)
Microsoft (MSFT)

ETFs:

U.S. Global Jets ETF (JETS)
Health Care Select SPDR (XLV)
SPDR S&P Bank ETF (KBE)

The only ones that interest me are BIIB, MSFT and XOM despite my affection for out-of-favor, beaten-down stocks.

I own MSFT as long as they keep those delicious dividend hikes coming. Would like to add XOM to mine or my wife's portfolio someday. Would also add BIIB here but I/we already own enough ABBV/JNJ/GILD/AMGN and it doesn't even pay a dividend. Angry
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I have been thinking about what companies to invest in the coming year--so far I've been looking into Magna Int'l, Donaldson Co., and Qualcom. I will most likely only add 2 new companies within my ROTH and reinvest the rest of the dollars into existing holdings. ADM is something I'm considering for my brokerage account as a new investment, otherwise not sure, most likely building up my current holdings. Hard to say, I like keeping overall investment percentages in the 2 to 3% range, my KMI investment really had no bearing on my portfolio. In fact, I would like to see KMI take another hit before adding more dollars because I still believe in the business.

Kerim, I was wondering why you posted this link in the "Off Topic" section?
(12-30-2015, 09:47 PM)rayray Wrote: Kerim, I was wondering why you posted this link in the "Off Topic" section?

I was thinking to put it in the "individual stocks" section, but then I guess I figured that the article had nothing to do with DG stocks specifically... It just didn't seem to fit neatly anywhere. Happy to move it there, though, if you disagree.