Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ADM
I do not see much discussion on the Archer Daniel Midlands Company (ADM).

Sector: Consumer Staples
Yield: 3.27
P/E 11.9
Dividend Growth Streak: 39 years
Payout Ratio 41.5%
3YR dividend growth rate: 13.6%

This stock has dropped by roughly a third this year due to commodity headwinds.  However, even bearish forecasts for this stock don't indicate a drop in revenue/earnings for this stock (mostly flat forecast for 2016).  With such a low P/E and payout ratio, this could be a good company to get cheap now and ride out the short term headwinds while collecting reliably increasing dividends.  Thoughts?
Interesting find.
M* likes them, Zacks hates them.
Gonna have to see/watch this.
Should be interesting to see what the pros on here think,
( I know i'm missing here)

Jimbo
Ive been a shareholder in ADM for a couple of years now and was waiting for a pullback before I consider adding more....and looks like that pullback has come. A great company with excellent fundamentals.
The company is growing higher margins business segments with their acquisition of Wild Flavors. Another new joint-venture was announced this week expanding into EMEA region.

Positives - food production/transport/processing - stable, reliable, and falls squarely into the consumer staples sector. Last year or two, management has increased the buybacks and increased the payout ratio a bit (IIRC the target is 30-35%). They also have a big presence in China - as China gets richer, more protein consumption translates to higher demand for grains, soybeans etc (each kilogram of pork requires 6 kilogram of feed, according to a study).

Negatives - Falling commodities of course. Also, falling crude prices. With the fall in energy prices, the subsidies for biofuel are growing smaller - and some very strong arguments can be made for completely cutting them off. Other challenges?

Another alternative to consider in this space (again, very strong fundamentals) is Bunge Ltd (BG).
ADM is one of my must haves in 2016, I've been watching this company all year.
I've liked them for years. ABCD- Archer Bunge Cargill Dreyfus. The only 4 big commodities and grain shippers around.

All of that ethanol is silly, but I guess it helps our farmers.
I looked at them a couple of weeks ago. Too many headwinds, my main concern being the whole "lets eat healthy food" movement which usually excludes processed stuff. Also a big portion of their income comes from products with significant government subsidies... some which are going to be around for a while, some which might get cancelled.

I'll keep my eyes open but right now ADM is not a company that I want to invest in. Not saying the company is bad, I just think there are better options out there.