Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franklin Resources (BEN)
We had a good discussion of BEN a little while back in this general thread about financial stocks, but I though it deserved its own thread.

Share price is taking a beating again today, falling into territory it hasn't seen in three years. I'm not seeing news from today that is causing the drop, but there has been plenty of press about it AUM decline over the last year or two. AUM is its lifeblood, in combination with with level of fees it can take on that amount. If AUM continues to decline, and pressure from robo-advisors, cheaper competitors, and other changes to the industry get more intense, BEN could be in for a long slow slide.

On the other hand, they are still very profitable, with lots of cash on hand, a really low payout ratio, and a 1.7 percent yield that doesn't even factor in the special dividends they occasionally pay. In that previous thread, rapidacid did some calculations that suggest the yield is more than twice as high over the past 15 years when you factor in the special dividends. Of course, the special dividends could become less frequent or less generous if the business is slowly slipping. I suspect the buybacks are going to pretty healthy too, with the share price so low.

I'm tempted to pick up another good-sized chunk at these prices, but am wary of increasing my exposure to financials too much. Opinions?
I've owned BEN for a few years and I've been happy with it. The DGR is high because of the lower payout ratio and low yield. It's not a huge position, as I don't like to go big in financials or tech, but I've got no complaints with it.
There's been enormous put buying on BEN for a couple weeks now and there was very recently, Thursday or Friday, a hit piece that was in the NY Times or some other major newspaper talking about a couple of their funds are down a crazy amount this year, not to mention their declining AUM numbers

I'm hazy with the details and can't find the article now ... will update if I can find it

Edit: http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-bond...1442808002

My impression is it's also falling a bit because of the general bond selloff- if they have energy bonds that are in danger of default, contagion risks, etc.

I own a nice position in my Roth...Not selling. I think they should be able to innovate their way into the next tier of investment advisory, I thought I remember reading that they hired a new ETF pro.
(12-14-2015, 06:55 PM)Dividendsrule Wrote: My impression is it's also falling a bit because of the general bond selloff- if they have energy bonds that are in danger of default, contagion risks, etc.

I own a nice position in my Roth...Not selling. I think they should be able to innovate their way into the next tier of investment advisory, I thought I remember reading that they hired a new ETF pro.

It's a mutual fund company, and the secular trend is away from mutuals and towards ETF's.  Their business model is to collect a % of AUM, so as AUM declines, their expected revenue will decline, as well.
A 20% dividend increase! I love this.

Franklin Resources (NYSE:BEN) declares $0.18/share quarterly dividend, 20% increase from prior dividend of $0.15.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2985936-fra...8-dividend