Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy!
Hello folks!

Stumbled on this forum over the weekend and was asked to take a moment to introduce myself. I'm 50 years old, married with 2 kids - one in college and one in 10th grade at a private school. Unfortunately, due to some incredibly bad investment decisions in the past, I am behind on investing and trying to catch up. Retirement is fast approaching and need to get ready.

In March, I discovered dividend growth stocks thanks to, of all people, Kevin O'Leary (a.k.a. "Mr. Wonderful"). I was watching CNBC one day and he was asked about whether he had invested in a particular stock (I don't remember which stock, but I know it was a high-flying growth stock). He said he liked the company and what they were doing but steadfastly said he would never buy a stock that did not reward him with a dividend. That got my attention, so I started doing some research. Figured out quickly that dividend growth stock investing was the way to go. Wish I had known about dividend investing earlier instead of the path I was following (more on that below).

I am aggressively trying to catch up and trying to get ready for retirement and hopefully leave a nice dividend trust fund for my kids. Contributing 20% of my pay in a company 401(k), 1/2 of which is going into a brokerage account that I have started using for dividend stock purchases. The other half is split between company stock (30%) and a large cap stock fund (20%). My company is a dividend aristocrat and has a healthy 5.6% yield, so I feel pretty comfortable putting 30% of my contribution into company stock. By the way, my company retirement plan will only allow 50% of my contribution to be put in a brokerage account for individual dividend stock purchases.

My portfolio currently consists of the following (full position for me is about $3k-$4k):

AAPL
AFL
AMNF
BNS (full position)
CVX (full position)
GE
GPS
KMI
KSS (full position)
MAIN
OHI (full position)
STWD (more than full position)
T (more than full position)
TD (full position)
UNP (full position)
WMT (full position)
WPC (full position)
XOM (full position)

These investments are spread out across my 401(k) brokerage account at Fidelity, a taxable brokerage account and my wife's Roth IRAs, all at Scottrade, and three of the investments through Loyal3 (WMT, KSS and GPS).

Pretty heavy in energy, but at these prices I felt like I had to dive in. Trying to make sure I'm invested in rock-solid energy companies that can withstand the storm. Also trying to take advantage of some REIT opportunities.

Unfortunately I got some bad advice and invested in some high-flying China growth stocks (SFUN, LEJU, QIHU) and also in luxury retailer KORS early last year. Down about 50% on these stocks (close to $30k). Not proud of it but I was dumb and took some advice from a stock picker that was recommended by a friend. Still in a quandary what to do about these investments. Haven't lost the money yet except on paper but it's not making me any either. Some lessons are hard (and expensive) to learn.

Excited to have found this board and appreciate the positive atmosphere that seems pervade all over it. That is rare to find on the Internet these days.

May your dividends increase exponentially and your stock prices soar!

dividends4me
Welcome d4m! Very glad you found us and hope that your investing journey from here on out is a prosperous and boring one!
Congrats on finding the site.
Good luck catching up in the retirement fund end. I made the same mistake and working hard at it now.
Great people and info here.
It's great to see so many new people and ESPECIALLY the young ones. Ooohh to be young again.
Jim
dividends4me, thanks for posting an intro. I was totally not expecting your situation with all the youngsters popping in lately. Glad you found us!

(11-09-2015, 11:43 AM)dividends4me Wrote: He said he liked the company and what they were doing but steadfastly said he would never buy a stock that did not reward him with a dividend.

Yup, pretty much sums up where I'm at now. My only purchase since I joined the cult that didn't pay a dividend before I bought it was GILD. However, at the time, rumors about a dividend were rampant and looking at their cash flow, acquisition history and pending approval of Solvadi led me to believe a dividend wouldn't affect how they did business.

(11-09-2015, 11:43 AM)dividends4me Wrote: Figured out quickly that dividend growth stock investing was the way to go. Wish I had known about dividend investing earlier instead of the path I was following.

When that light bulb goes on, it sure makes you wonder what you were thinking. It did me, at least.

Anywhoo, thanks for joining in the conversation. Looking forward to your input.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Second best time is today.

Good luck and welcome dividends4me!