Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 around the corner
Okay, like always I'm impatient, I can't help it because it must be part of my genetic makeup. I realize we're still in calendar year 2015 but I'm already thinking about what to do for the coming new year, 2016.

What to do? What path do I take? Rear patio for backyard bar-b-que's, egress window for more basement light and safety, hardwood floors in the formal living room, tile floor in the TV room? Do I go back to school and take some real estate classes? Open up that hot dog shop I've been talking about for, since forever? As usual not enough cash, time or booze to tackle every project. Alright, if I wasn't so hell-bent saving for FI I'd have more cash AND boozeBig Grin What about ROTH 2016 contributions? Weekly deposits or one lump sum to get it over with and get the ball rolling?

So, keeping with investment choices for DGF purposes, I'll take a step back and just think about ROTH choices. Currently, it's set up for weekly deposits but as 2016 is fast coming upon us I'm leaning towards the full deposit. My rationale? Well, once my monthly ROTH DGI gets to a better monthly stream I'll go with weekly deposits but since I don't feel like I'm there YET I'm leaning towards the full allotment. What's a better monthly DGI stream to go weekly deposits? A 1k monthly income stream would make me feel comfortable to move towards weekly deposits for the ROTH. That would enable me to make strategic monthly investments throughout the year within the account. Oh man, I cannot wait to get to that point! Once I reach that status I'll definitely move to weekly deposits and remove the DRIP options to cash options and invest in my best opportunities monthly. That's my plan but it's not set in stone, one thing is constant and that's change.

Anyone else already thinking about 2016?
Yes but I think it's my need to have a plan. And a backup plan. And a backup backup plan. At least those. Preferably more. Big Grin

Anyway, lots of things will be happening to me. Biggest one by far being my mother getting a stemcell transplant... and that pretty much dictates what happens to me for the rest of the year. If all goes well then I'm also looking at moving to yet another country (the Netherlands) as well as possibly changing jobs somewhere along the way. And then the whole where/when/, apartment/house, buy/rent situation comes up... that should be fun. If things go sideways then I'll stick to one of my famous backup plans. You did mention school and that has also been in my mind recently but it's not the right time now.

Financially I've got my goals already set up as I do that 2 years in advance. Though of course those goals might have to be adjusted a bit depending on how things go, if I'm not able to go to work then obviously my contributions to my portfolio will be minor. But in any case I'll be growing my portfolio a little, most likely just increasing my current positions. My dividend income goal for 2016 requires a roughly 22% increase from 2015 so that won't be happening with dividend increases and reinvestment alone, some additional funds are definitely necessary.

So yes, I do love to plan for the future. And to have those backup plans because life happens.
(11-07-2015, 01:25 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Yes but I think it's my need to have a plan. And a backup plan. And a backup backup plan. At least those. Preferably more. Big Grin

Anyway, lots of things will be happening to me. Biggest one by far being my mother getting a stemcell transplant... and that pretty much dictates what happens to me for the rest of the year. If all goes well then I'm also looking at moving to yet another country (the Netherlands) as well as possibly changing jobs somewhere along the way. And then the whole where/when/, apartment/house, buy/rent situation comes up... that should be fun. If things go sideways then I'll stick to one of my famous backup plans. You did mention school and that has also been in my mind recently but it's not the right time now.

Financially I've got my goals already set up as I do that 2 years in advance. Though of course those goals might have to be adjusted a bit depending on how things go, if I'm not able to go to work then obviously my contributions to my portfolio will be minor. But in any case I'll be growing my portfolio a little, most likely just increasing my current positions. My dividend income goal for 2016 requires a roughly 22% increase from 2015 so that won't be happening with dividend increases and reinvestment alone, some additional funds are definitely necessary.

So yes, I do love to plan for the future. And to have those backup plans because life happens.

Having a sick mother myself, I really sympathize and the heart aches anytime I hear about someone being sick. Good luck Crimson and I'll say a few prayers.
(11-07-2015, 01:43 PM)rayray Wrote: Having a sick mother myself, I really sympathize and the heart aches anytime I hear about someone being sick. Good luck Crimson and I'll say a few prayers.

Thanks. And good luck to you too, we are not in an easy situation but that's just life. Hopefully the situation improves for both of us.
(11-07-2015, 01:25 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Yes but I think it's my need to have a plan. And a backup plan. And a backup backup plan. At least those. Preferably more. Big Grin

Prayers to you and your mother. Hope everything goes well for her.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Funny, I wrote down my goals for 2016 last weekend as well:

- Max out my 401k by March (yearly bonus comes in Feb and helps get it done)
- Invest at least $50k in the stock market
- Achieve minimal goal of $5k in dividends, $6k is stretch goal.
- Visit at least 1 new country, ideally 2 (did 4 new countries in 2015 Smile).
- Do at least one advanced degree/course in Business or Marketing from a top school in the US
- Do a small medical surgery I've been delaying for years (it makes the list every year but it never gets done).

- Extra mile, get promoted!
Crimsonghost, my thoughts are with you. Hope everything is successful and she's back to reminding you to eat your vegetables real soon!

Only have four goals right now:
  • Get used to working for "the man" again after 15 or so years and make it through the first year.
  • Get to see my grandkids more than major holidays.
  • See my son & daughter at least once in 2016.
  • Get the medical bills off our backs for wife's cancer treatment.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan