Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's about time!
Tongue 
Hi All,

Well, I'm a 50 yrs old lady, happily divorced and after having left money in the bank at 0 interest for many years, I finally decided to do something about it. Talking with a co-worker got me started.
BUT, it's scary because I know not much about it. I need to read and slowly get into it. I'd like to retire at 55 if not earlier. Oh and travel.
I'm slowly changing my lifestyle to reduce un-necessary expenses and put as much money aside to invest.

I will bug you will questions. Smile

Thanks for reading!

Sylv
Alberta, Canada
Welcome,     Froggy !

Sooooo, you're 50 years old with little investment experience? And you wanna retire at 55? How did you find the Dividend Growth Forum and what got you interested in dividend growth investing? Huh

I'm just being nosy because it helps knowing a little about your ideas on investing, your goals and knowledge. With 5 years as your goal now, I don't want to answer you later with inappropriate suggestions.

There are a lot of smart people here so ask away.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Welcome Froggy!

(10-31-2015, 06:46 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Welcome, Froggy !

Sooooo, you're 50 years old with little investment experience? And you wanna retire at 55? How did you find the Dividend Growth Forum and what got you interested in dividend growth investing? Huh

I'm just being nosy because it helps knowing a little about your ideas on investing, your goals and knowledge. With 5 years as your goal now, I don't want to answer you later with inappropriate suggestions.

Well I do have other investment. Mutual funds (going down...) and some good money stuck in Carevest. HUGE mistake that was!

Mortgage is paid, no kids, so I have money to play with and I'd like to learn so I can invest myself. I had lots of money invested with an investor but he was hopeless. Making 2% when most were doing 15-20% so transferred the money to an other place that has a very good reputation. We're in a downturn so it's down but I look at the long run.

I'm reading The Lazy Investor by Derek Foster.
It's will take time but I'd like to be more "in charge" of my money.
I guest retirement is getting closer........

I don't intent to buy high risk stocks. I'm about to buy bank stocks.

Blush
(10-31-2015, 11:29 AM)Froggy Wrote:

Well I do have other investment. Mutual funds (going down...) and some good money stuck in Carevest. HUGE mistake that was!

Mortgage is paid, no kids, so I have money to play with and I'd like to learn so I can invest myself. I had lots of money invested with an investor but he was hopeless. Making 2% when most were doing 15-20% so transferred the money to an other place that has a very good reputation. We're in a downturn so it's down but I look at the long run.

Blush

All investing is high risk. I hope you're intentions arent to buy only bank stocks, because you're consolidating all your risk to a single market sector. More stocks spread across more sectors is a safer bet.
(10-31-2015, 03:09 PM)navyasw02 Wrote:

Blush

All investing is high risk. I hope you're intentions arent to buy only bank stocks, because you're consolidating all your risk to a single market sector. More stocks spread across more sectors is a safer bet.

That's why I'm on this site. To get advice and ideas!
Froggy, check out the Dividend Champion spreadsheet on this site: http://www.dripinvesting.org/Tools/Tools.asp

It's a list of companies who have increased their dividends for 25 straight years or more. Companies like 3M, Aflac, AT&T, Clorox, Coca-Cola, Exxon Mobil, Johnson & Johnson, Lowe's, McDonald's, Pepsi, Procter & Gamble, Target ...

(11-01-2015, 01:32 AM)rapidacid Wrote: Froggy, check out the Dividend Champion spreadsheet on this site: http://www.dripinvesting.org/Tools/Tools.asp

It's a list of companies who have increased their dividends for 25 straight years or more. Companies like 3M, Aflac, AT&T, Clorox, Coca-Cola, Exxon Mobil, Johnson & Johnson, Lowe's, McDonald's, Pepsi, Procter & Gamble, Target ...

Thank you! I'll check them out!
(10-31-2015, 03:09 PM)navyasw02 Wrote:

Blush

Welcome to the forum, Froggy!
Froggy, where a company makes its money is more important than where it is domiciled. Case in point, Philip Morris International (PM) is a US company, but 100% of its income is derived from outside the US. Going to a company's website will help you in determining where a company derives their income. And welcome to the forum.
(10-31-2015, 11:29 AM)Froggy Wrote: I'm reading The Lazy Investor by Derek Foster.

Froggy, I'd recommend you read The Single Best Investment by Lowell Miller. We have a link to a pdf copy of the book over in the Resources section. I think it's one of the best books for dividend growth investors.

P.S. Haven't seen you bugging us with questions yet. Big Grin
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan