Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My portfolio - new member
Hi all.

After reading this forum and enjoying its content for the past 6 months I thought I would join. I have only been investing for about a year. I have fully funded my Roth last year and this. Any other monies are in a cash account. I have about 14 years until retirement. I am trying to achieve 12K in dividend income annually in that time. I have about 1,200 per month to invest so I believe that will be achievable. I am initially shooting for about 25-30 high quality DGI stocks. At this stage i believe a 3K investment will be what I would consider a full position but that should increase over time. Your comments will be appreciated.

Symbol / Shares
AAPL 25.00
AFL 6.53
CSCO 49.36
EMR 17.63
XOM 21.60
GILD 8.61
JNJ 13.56
KHC 20.00
KMI 23.29
MSFT 24.01
NOV 27.72
PM 4.63
PG 16.84
TROW 16.59
WPC 21.12

Thanks
BLTN
Bettter Late Than Never
BLTN, this is how I figured your portfolio distribution right now:

I compiled your current portfolio by S&P's GICS categories and contribution to the S&P500 to show which industry groups make it up so far. Right now, S&P lumps REITs in with Financials but they'll be breaking them out in the next year or two so I've already done that. I'm sure most would agree it's a pretty good start.

Keep in mind, to achieve your goal in 14 years you'll need a portfolio valued at about $315,000 yielding 3.8%. With $1200/month for the next 14 years you'll be adding $201,000 give or take. With some judicious dividend reinvestment and the growth in stock prices over time, I think you'll be quite pleased. And dividend growth doesn't stop when you retire. Cool

Now my thoughts ...

First, I wouldn't recommend getting rid of any. You've got a nice start there. I don't think any of them are risky as far as company viability or ability to continue paying dividends. In the future, you can balance as you see necessary with your adds and new purchases.

In my opinion, it seems the categories that make up the backbone of many dividend growth portfolios for a retiree are Consumer Staples, Healthcare, Utilities, Telecom & REITs. These sectors are considered defensive because they make or service the necessities of everyday life except for REITs which provide a pretty good income stream while providing infrastructure for other businesses.

To fill in some of your blanks, I have some suggestions. I'll try not to duplicate what you already have and you may want to add to them also as time goes on.

Energy - I'd add here when prices are at a bargain and after you catch up on other sectors. You've already got a major, a pipeline & and a services company. Unless you want to diversify further, I like your choices.

Materials - mostly cyclical but there are some interesting companies here that can provide a decent income stream. My suggestions to look at are BBL/SON/PX/ARG/APD/BMS/CMP.

Industrials - MMM/ITW/ETN/HON/UTX/PH/GE/DOV/CMI/DE/CAT. In the MRO subsector I'd look at FAST/GWW. Then there are the rails UNP/CSX/NSC. Lastly, there's the defense department LMT/RTN/GD/NOC for starters. Can you tell I'm partial to companies that make things and those that serve them? Big Grin

Consumer Discretionary - since the consumer trade makes of 70% of the U.S. economy, this is an appealing sector when the economy is doing OK. During recessions, a lot of these companies can take a hit as sales slump. Long-term, there are some interesting companies. MCD/DEO/WMT/TGT/HAS/GPC/TGT/ROST/TJX/VFC for starters.

Consumer Staples - stuff people need everyday so they are often higher on the valuation scale. Some you don't have KO/PEP/GIS/UL/HSY/HRL/MKC/CVS/WBA.

Healthcare - we're going to need more of this as the baby boomers age. ABBV/AMGN/BDX/PFE/OMI in addition to those you already have.

Financials - in addition to what you already have there's BEN/EV in the investment field, TRV in insurance, WFC in the banks. If you can stand a little currency fluctuation, take a look at the Canadian banks TD/RY/BMO/BNS. Roadmap2Retire did a series on them on Seeking Alpha and he put links to them over in this thread.

Information Technology - these are cyclical too and require constant innovation to stay competitive. IBM/INTC/ADP/XLNX/HRS but I also like what you already have.

Telecommunications - Slow growers in the U.S. since the market is saturated. T/VZ although TDS intrigues me lately if it only went on sale more often. Hard to beat those juicy yields of the first two. Again, if you can stomach the currency thing, there's some Canadian telecoms to look at -- BCE/TU/RCI.

Utilities - slow growers that provide a steady but slow-growing (for the most part) dividend stream. SO/WEC/AVA/LNT/D/XEL/NEE/ES/ED. Then there's water utilities. WTR/MSEX are two that I recall but am not too familiar with them.

REITs - the infrastructure companies for a lot of businesses. DLR/O/NNN/HCP/VTR/OHI/HCN.

These are not recommendations. Just some that came to mind as I was writing this. Some are overvalued, some may not meet your income or dividend growth needs. There are many others that people may recommend.

It just occurred to me ... I think Eric Landis did a whole series on the sectors on Seeking Alpha. Maybe he can point you in the right direction to them.

Glad you joined us. In 14 years, you should be in good shape.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Dividend Watcher

I really appreciate the time you put into thinking about this. I realize this will be tight and I am shooting for the moon. I really only need about 800 per month to hit my goal or about 9,600 annually. That and if I can front load a lot of this should lead to hopefully 6% or better dividend returns in that time. I am really trying to hit 100K in the first 4 years but we will see.

Now to your points.

Energy's - I would am still interested in NOV and all energys for that matter. NOV is my worst performer so far but Jason just recommended it as the undervalued stock of the week. Thinking about doubling down here.

Materials - Liking BBL here. Huge dividend. Would be great to lock in here if commodities took off from here which they eventually will.

Industrials - Liking MMM, UTX and CAT here. Not sure about GE as I read they are freezing their dividend.

Consumer discretionary - Like WMT and TGT for long term but most are over valuled as I try to stay below P/E of 20 forward earnings. I really like GNTX in this area.

Consumer staples - I would like more exposure here but they always seem overvalued. KHC is a gamble and PG is beat up right not. We will see

Healthcare - ABBV is always on my list but thinking about doubling down on GILD for the long run. Also, no one ever got fired recommending JNJ.

Financials - just scary but AFL, BEN and WFC would be the short list.

IT - Lots to like here - IBM seems the choice but could double down on MSFT, QCOM or CSCO for the long term.

Telecom - Always seems overvalued like VZ and T. I like T for the long term.

Utilities - I must admit I will probably look further when I am more diversified.

REIT's - looking at O and OHI right now.

Railroads - UNP looks good now

Damn - not enough powder.

Thanks
BLTN
Better Later Than Never
(10-25-2015, 10:22 PM)BLTN Wrote: I realize this will be tight and I am shooting for the moon.

Really? You think so? I was thinking it was a small stretch at most and highly possible to do. Don't overpay, reinvest in the same or collect and invest in something different, don't hoard cash -- it loses to inflation even now, don't be afraid of down markets -- that's when you get the bargains. You're well on your way.

I'll let others chime in on all the rest and my feeble list.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I agree that it looks like a great start, BLTN, and $1200 per month of fresh powder is nothing to sneeze at.

And DW, really nice analysis.

My 2 cents would be, as always, focus on best valuations at the moment. Getting a bargain on a great company will do more for you in the medium to long term than buying a lesser value just to satisfy weightings.

I agree with DW about the consumer staples backbone, but a lot of the go-to companies are pretty expensive right now. REgarding some of the sectors you are light on, in the industrials I love the defense giants. Nothing like having your biggest customers using taxpayer money to buy your stuff.

On telecom, T is off its lows, unfortunately, but I am not sure it is overpriced here. I've been considering adding myself.

I agree with those that see healthcare as a tentpole sector going forward, and so the healthcare REITs give you a double-boost. So I applaud your interest in OHI.

Keep us posted!
(10-25-2015, 11:46 AM)BLTN Wrote: Hi all.

After reading this forum and enjoying its content for the past 6 months I thought I would join. I have only been investing for about a year. I have fully funded my Roth last year and this. Any other monies are in a cash account. I have about 14 years until retirement. I am trying to achieve 12K in dividend income annually in that time. I have about 1,200 per month to invest so I believe that will be achievable. I am initially shooting for about 25-30 high quality DGI stocks. At this stage i believe a 3K investment will be what I would consider a full position but that should increase over time. Your comments will be appreciated.

Symbol / Shares
AAPL     25.00
AFL         6.53
CSCO    49.36
EMR      17.63
XOM      21.60
GILD       8.61
JNJ        13.56
KHC       20.00
KMI        23.29
MSFT     24.01
NOV      27.72
PM          4.63
PG         16.84
TROW   16.59
WPC      21.12

Thanks
BLTN
Bettter Late Than Never

Hi all.

Thought I would update my progress here. Total positions are now:

Symbol / Shares
AAPL     25
AFL       17
BAC     100
CSCO    54
EMR      20
XOM      22
GILD     10
JNJ        15
KHC       21
KMI        73
MSFT     26
NOV      48
OHI       45
PM          5
PG         18
QCOM    24
TROW   18
UNP       21
WMT     27
WPC      23

I have initiated 5 new positions, in blue, and averaged down on most of my other holdings with a self made index fund through Motif Investing. Most new positions have held their own or done quite well. The increase in KMI was the day before the ratings/div cut. Yeah, kinda feel silly there but I am up otherwise. I did especially well  buying on the dip with OHI @ 28.85, WMT @ 57.26 and did ok so far on BAC @ 12.27.  That's great as I usually watch my new purchase drop like a rock right after purchasing them. Really wish i had more dry powder in January into early February but that's how it goes. Sitting on 3k of dry powder now waiting on a dip, even if it is only one or two good stocks that take a dip.  I keep looking at pharma, railroads and banks. Recommendations welcome.

Thanks
BLTN
Better Late Than Never
(03-30-2016, 06:29 PM)BLTN Wrote: banks. Recommendations welcome.

Take a look at Canada. Any of the big 5 should be decent investments in the long run. There is quite a lot of talk about them on this forum too and if you take a look at our portfolios you will notice that there are many of us who own 1 or more.
Welcome, BLTN. It's great to have a new member. There's a ton of material in these forums.

DividendWatcher did a great job with developing a road map for you. That must have taken quite some time, and I appreciate it.

Plan the work and work the plan, and if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail. It's great that you're sharing and are so open with the group. IMO, the $1,200/month that you have to invest is a tremendous asset that should pay dividends (pun intended) for quite some time.

As for T, I am very bullish on it's future with the DirecTV acquisition closed. It might be at the high end of fairly valued, or slightly overvalued, but the nature of the company has changed a bit, so it's a little harder to value. EPS is supposed to increase by about 30% year over year, which is a huge improvement (DirecTV was a cash cow). I will add to T on a pullback to $37.