Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Position Size ... What Do You Do?
I'm not a 100% sure what my full position number is supposed to be, in terms of dollars or percentages as a whole. I do know that I treat my 401kplan and my Vanguard Roth/Brokerage accounts as two separate entities.

In my 401 kplan, investing over the course of almost 20 years plans changed. I use to re-allocate dollars once a mutual fund grew to more then 20% of total portfolio, so if a fund became 23 to 25% of total portfolio it was adjusted downward to the 18 to 20% range. Over time as the account grew so did the amount of different funds I have acquired. But now the largest holdings are in the 9 to 11% range getting trimmed once they reach 15% of total weight.

In my Vanguard account my largest holdings are U.S Healthcare Fund and Markel at 12 and 10% respectfully. The U.S. Healthcare fund gets trimmed at 15% and no further purchases of Markel (Markel never gets trimmed, it is what it is). All my other individual holdings range anywhere from 1.2% to the 3 maybe 4% range. I'm in the camp that 100 stocks is better then 10. For example, when I was considering Canadian bank stocks and had set aside a certain amount of dollars to invest in that arena I took that amount and invested in the top 5 Canadian banks, of course, I look at Canadian banks different then say, the top 5 tech companies. Actually, I originally invested in one Canadian bank stock and wanted more exposure and couldn't make up my mind after some research, that's when I allocated and invested in the remaining 4 companies.

For some reason, I do like to receive a certain amount of yearly dividends from each company, so I usually keep buying that company until I reach that amount in dividend income, as long as that company is properly valued. But that's just my quirky craziness.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Position Size ... What Do You Do? - by KenBob - 09-19-2015, 07:15 AM
RE: Position Size ... What Do You Do? - by Kerim - 09-19-2015, 12:22 PM
RE: Position Size ... What Do You Do? - by cannew - 09-20-2015, 11:28 AM
RE: Position Size ... What Do You Do? - by rayray - 09-27-2015, 09:01 AM