Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to determine if a stock is a REIT or MLP
Simple/dumb question here: But how to accurately determine if a stock is MLP or REIT or a regular stock.

I got confused as I am searching for KMI and some say it is MLP and other s say it is not.

Thanks.
(09-04-2015, 03:40 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: Simple/dumb question here: But how to accurately determine if a stock is MLP or REIT or a regular stock.

I got confused as I am searching for KMI and some say it is MLP and other s say it is not.

Thanks.

Most of the time an MLP will have L.P. in its name.

For example, if you type in a ticker in Yahoo Finance, like PAA you will see Plains All American Pipeline, L.P. as the name of the company.

If you go to KMI, you will see it's name is Kinder Morgan, Inc. which is a normal stock.

Otherwise, I usually just go to the company description page on Yahoo or directly to the company website and read about it.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Thanks Eric. Good article too, btw, on SA today!
(09-04-2015, 04:29 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: Thanks Eric. Good article too, btw, on SA today!

No problem, and thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it.

For a while I was wondering if the article was a dud as I wasn't getting any feedback from readers like I had gotten with previous articles in the series. I think the Friday afternoon before Labor Day weekend is the culprit though. Not much activity in general on Seeking Alpha today.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha