Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shifting to the Safety of Bonds
Read an article about dividend growth investing, but the writer added the following quote:

"As you approach 80, I would suspect that many would want to shift your investments towards the safety of bonds - and that shift will sacrifice some growth."

I'm 73 and 100% DG stocks. I doubt after all these years of growing income, I can't see giving that up for bonds, that don't grow their income.
Kids...they say the darned'st things ;-)
(09-04-2015, 07:59 PM)ronn38 Wrote: Kids...they say the darned'st things ;-)

Lol!

Cannew, what kind of an income cut would you face if you started transitioning to even long-term corporates about now? Just curious.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(09-04-2015, 08:38 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Cannew, what kind of an income cut would you face if you started transitioning to even long-term corporates about now? Just curious.
As my yield on total investment is just under 6% and had to drop to what 3%? I guess I'd loose about $45,000 per year. Even with the drop in the current market, and my market value, my dividends are up 13% this year. Do corporates increase their yield? No!
Part of the bond myth, along with the myth of zero risk. I'm not anti bonds, but I believe that they should only be bought for specific reasons instead of the routinely touted generalities.
I have in the past used bond funds when stocks looked overvalued and may in the future do the same. One must do what makes most sense at any point in time. Right now, bonds make no sense, while dividend paying stocks make a lot of sense.