Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I knew it!
Money really does buy you happiness, study reveals
Ha! Of course money buys you happiness/freedom/convenience etc etc Smile
People who say money doesn't buy happiness haven't ever been broke. Money may not buy happiness, but not having money gets you a lot of free sad.
Well that article is confusing.
So having a big balance on your bank account makes you happy... but material possessions (= using that money to get what you want) doesn't? So they enjoy keeping their wealth in the bank but never using it? Isn't the whole point of currency to exchange it for items that you need/want?

On the other hand I do see where they are coming from. If you have a lot of money then you don't need to worry about things like how to pay the bills, can I afford to go to a restaurant instead of cooking at home etc, what happens if the car breaks down etc.

In the end I do not believe that money can buy happiness. However I do think that it helps because it allows you to get things that you want.. whether that is a new car, a nice house or simply a small vacation once in a while or taking your whole family out for an ice cream on a sunny day. But money can't give me the things that I want the most, such as family and health.
(09-04-2015, 10:32 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: In the end I do not believe that money can buy happiness. However I do think that it helps because it allows you to get things that you want.. whether that is a new car, a nice house or simply a small vacation once in a while or taking your whole family out for an ice cream on a sunny day. But money can't give me the things that I want the most, such as family and health.

Counterpoint:

Women like dudes who have more money, therefore money buys a family

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...rtner.html

Wealthy people are more healthy

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-r...re-healthy

So I'd say money does buy happiness!
Counterpoint:
If the woman you are with chose you because of your money, then is that really the kind of family you want? Wink

As for the health part. Well I live in Europe so it's a bit different here as we can get healthcare for free or for a fraction of the real cost. The other points in that article are pretty boring since they basically compare a normal person (can afford normal food and a normal apartment) vs a guy so poor he lives in some crappy shack in the slums and eats food from the garbage. But I do agree that in the USA and other countries with poor public healthcare systems, cash can help you to get the treatment you want or need.

That being said, being healthy (to me) means pretty much not needing to go to the damn doctor in the first place. Smile
(09-05-2015, 01:07 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Counterpoint:
If the woman you are with chose you because of your money, then is that really the kind of family you want? Wink

As for the health part. Well I live in Europe so it's a bit different here as we can get healthcare for free or for a fraction of the real cost. The other points in that article are pretty boring since they basically compare a normal person (can afford normal food and a normal apartment) vs a guy so poor he lives in some crappy shack in the slums and eats food from the garbage. But I do agree that in the USA and other countries with poor public healthcare systems, cash can help you to get the treatment you want or need.

That being said, being healthy (to me) means pretty much not needing to go to the damn doctor in the first place. Smile

True on both points!
Being retired and not having to be concerned about money, definitely makes me feel better. Is life better, yes. Do we wish we had more, sometimes, but it's not constantly on our mind. Is our health better, I think so because we can afford the eat well and live an easier life. Like most things, we don't need a study to figure it out.
Fraudulent car service -- avoid this scam!

[Admin Edit: I may come to regret toying with spammers, but it makes me giggle to think of their reaction when they see the revised link when they run their SEO reports. I send the poster this email:

"Dtlewis123 -- welcome to DGF. I've edited the link you posted. You'll love the new anchor text. Happy link building!"]