Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Portfolio
First post, but been reading extensively about DGI here and other resources. I am considering re-allocating my retirement portfolio with equally weighted positions in the following companies. I have 30-35 years to retirement, and my portfolio is mainly for this purpose. As I am still learning about valuation, I have compiled this list based mostly on other published portfolios and articles read over the last couple of months. I am still not very confident in my own abilities to value a stock. So, I draw from other sources for now. All input is welcome. What do you all think?

ABBV
AAPL
MO
CVX
KO
CMI
EMR
XOM
GILD
HCP
HSY
HD
IBM
JNJ
KMB
LMT
MCD
MSFT
PM
TGT
UNP
VZ
WFC
CBRL
DIS
KMI
WTR
ITW
PEP
CVS
WBA
MMM
Very nice group of names. Looks like most sectors are covered except for utilities. Though since I only own AVA as my only utility I can't really fault you there. What are the weights to each stock? All evenly allocated or are you 90% to 1 stock and the rest are very minor? Go to the Introduce Yourself section and we can get to know a little more about you and what your goals are for your portfolio.
Thank you ChadR. I was having trouble updating my profile. The short story is we are saving for retirement. I am making investment decisions for myself and my wife. We have 30-35 years to retirement. As suggested by Lowell Miller, I plan on weighting my positions equally.
Really great list divigrow.

I imported your choices into SR and saw no Basic Materials sector choices. Couple choices to look at there might be BBL, ARLP, DOW, AGU, APD, MON

Others to consider if you haven't already ruled them out:

Real Estate: O, OHI
Financials: WFC, TROW, BEN, BLK
Utilities: WEC, SO
Industrials: RTN, PH, ROK, BA, BR
Technology: HRS, QCOM, ACN
Consumer: INGR, GIS, CLX, CL

Earlier in the week, I took initial positions in the following companies. Any feedback is welcome. Ultimately, I would like to hold 30-35 equities over the coming weeks.

MMM
WTR
BLK
CVX
KO
EMR
XOM
GILD
JNJ
MSFT
MON
PEP
QCOMM
TROW
UPC
UTX
VZ
WMT
DIS
Great list divigrow. Congratulations on taking the first step.

Looks like a really solid foundation to build upon - nice work! My only critique would be the lower dividend growth profile of some of those companies given your 30-35 years until retirement. If you don't need the income today, you might be better off with slightly lower current yields but much better long-term growth potential. For example, rapidacid's mentioned TROW, which appears to have really good long-term dividend growth prospects.

You can look at a company's payout ratio (amount of dividends paid as a percentage of a company's total earnings or cash flow) to get a basic idea of how much room there is for a dividend to grow. I prefer sub-50%, but I also have a relatively long window until retirement.