Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front page stocks
Impressive setup--I've been looking for a site like this. I hope it gets some traction.

A question though: how do stocks make the front page? Instead of listing stocks individually, should they be listed by types instead? Diversified vs. a single line of business? Brackets of dividend yield? NLY is a stock I follow (which returns 13%)--why isn't it there?
Welcome aagha! Thanks for the comments. I'm still getting the site organized, and I'm sure it will evolve quite a bit, especially in the early days.

I'm not really even sure that having a separate thread for each individual stock is a good idea. It might be better to have a general category for discussing individual stocks, and let folks create threads about whichever stocks they'd like to discuss. Or categories along the lines you suggested (though I suspect people would argue about which stocks belong in which categories). What do you think?

So really I just chose a handful of large, well-known, and closely followed DG stocks and threw them up there to see how it would look. There was no science to how I selected those (except that I happen to own many of them).

Though NLY is a stock that I own (and like), I didn't include it because it is not a traditional DG stock. But since you're here and might be interested in discussing, I'll add it right now.

Thanks again!
Well, I did some more thinking and a little bit of reading on the subject, and decided to get rid of (for now) the threads for individual stocks, as well as some of the other categories I had created. Instead, I'm reverting to fewer categories and a more streamlined front page.

I think this makes good sense, and I like how it looks now better. The main consideration is that with so few users at the start here, the place just looked empty and unused with all of those inactive categories. Sort of like booking an entire restaurant for an intimate dinner for two. Nice idea, but feels empty. Better to concentrate of fewer categories for now. As the site grows, we can add new categories and forums as needed.

Please let me know what you think. Meanwhile, feel free to start a thread about NLY, or any other stock you like, in the new "Individual DG Stocks" category.

Thanks!
I like the new look. It's cleaner and simper to use.

In the future, as traffic and interest grows, I'd still advocate creating categories of different types of div-grow (DG) stocks.
Not sure what Front Page stocks refer to, unless it's which stocks would be considered? It was an opening statement of one of the Connolly Report issues that got me started on DG investing:

"If a stock does not pay a dividend, don't buy it; if the company does not grow its dividend don't buy it either."

That was like turning on a light and finally gave me a simple answer to "What stocks to consider". Since I started the DG strategy recommended by Connolly I've had no losses and my dividend yield on my invested cost is now over 6%. My capital has followed the dividend growth in most cases.