Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Industrial Sector
I finally finished up the next article in my top dividend growth stocks series, this time covering the Industrial Sector. I learned a lot going through all of the companies on the list and think there are some trading at attractive valuations. I recently brought my CMI to a full position and yesterday opened new positions in UPS and FAST as a result.

Top Ten Industrial Stocks For Dividend Growth And Income

Hope you enjoy!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Really enjoyed reading the article, Eric. Thanks for sharing.

One comment/feedback on the article - any particular reason why the 12yr FAST Graphs was chosen? FAST Graphs changes the Normal PE value based on teh time frame chosen (takes the average?)...not to say that theres anything wrong with 12y graph - but why not choose a rounded number like 5y or 10y?

Also, LMT has a 14-yr chart - which might be by mistake, but just wanted to nitpick since it changes the scale Smile
(08-14-2015, 08:25 PM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Really enjoyed reading the article, Eric. Thanks for sharing.

One comment/feedback on the article - any particular reason why the 12yr FAST Graphs was chosen? FAST Graphs changes the Normal PE value based on teh time frame chosen (takes the average?)...not to say that theres anything wrong with 12y graph - but why not choose a rounded number like 5y or 10y?

Also, LMT has a 14-yr chart - which might be by mistake, but just wanted to nitpick since it changes the scale Smile

I go with the 12 year FAST Graph because that actually shows the 10YR of historical information plus the current year and projected 2016 numbers. Don't know if you have FG, but if you look when showing a 12 year chart the start date for share price is 12-31-2004.

In the case of LMT, I went with 14 year over 12 year because that time frame bumped the normal PE from 13.5 to 14.8, which was closer to the 16 number I went with for my spreadsheet and it also marks the date from which LMT has been on its current dividend increase streak.
Thanks for another great top 10 article.

I follow EMR and CMI closely, and opened a position in EMR last week. I've heard of ETN and FAST, but haven't done any research on them. They look solid from your brief overview, so I've decided to add them to my research queue.

Since it is foreign, what are the tax implications of ETN?
(08-15-2015, 06:01 AM)Caversham Wrote: Since it is foreign, what are the tax implications of ETN?

Someone posted this info in the comment thread of the article.

curious, but little known tidbit about US tax treatment of ETN dividend , is apparently considered return of capital , much like a MLP , reduces ones capital account or basis so would be essentially tax free till selling , then recaptured as either long or shot term gain . Long term hold, no effective tax.

Date: July 21, 2015

DUBLIN, Ireland … The Board of Directors of power management company Eaton (NYSE:ETN) today declared a quarterly dividend of $0.55 per ordinary share payable August 21, 2015 to shareholders of record at the close of business on August 3, 2015.

For U.S. tax purposes, Eaton estimates that all of the 2015 dividend will be treated as a return of capital to shareholders, to the extent of the shareholder’s tax basis in the shares. Additional information about the tax treatment of the dividend, including actual return of capital information for 2014, is available at the investor relations page of the Eaton website, http://www.Eaton.com.

_________

Hope that helps!
Eric, thanks for following up. I found more information directly from Eaton here:
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@...470866.pdf

The tax treatment appears very favorable for US investors, especially if you never plan to sell.
I have a resting order for GWW @ 224. Hope I didn't get too cute!
(08-17-2015, 08:36 PM)NilesMike Wrote: I have a resting order for GWW @ 224. Hope I didn't get too cute!

Filled this morning.
Here is a follow up on the Industrial Sector with updated tables, 5 additional companies, and a new Top Ten List.

Top 10 Industrial Sector Stocks For Q3 2016

Enjoy.
Just curious, where do you have IBM if not in Industrial? Is it in Tech?

Great article, as always. Love the explanation of the methodology.
(08-16-2016, 11:09 AM)DividendGarden Wrote: Just curious, where do you have IBM if not in Industrial?  Is it in Tech?

Great article, as always.  Love the explanation of the methodology.

Yes, IBM is classified under info tech.

I have a list started for the tech sector, but I've found they rarely give guidance for dividend payout ratio targets, so that makes it a bit more difficult to forecast.

Haven't decided yet if/when I will finish building it.
Another great article, I love to see BA up there on the top, it's the most recent addition in my portfolio and I look forward to see it fly Big Grin.