Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Cap Dividend Motif
i am really enjoying the flexibility that Motif investing offers. I don't want a portfolio of dozens of individually traded tickers each of which consists of a few shares. The initial expense is too great and making adjustments is too inefficient. At the same time, I don't like certain holdings, weightings or expenses of many ETFs. Along came Motif. Custom construct a themed basket of up to 30 stocks weighted as you prefer and buy with a single $9.95 fee. Adjust holding, weightings, and/or accumulate shares all for an additional $9.95 fee.

I started a motif acount a few months ago and now have purchased three Motifs or baskets of stocks. My most recent purchase is named Big Cap Dividend, averaging about 3.25% yield. Here are the tickers that are included: CAT CLX COH D DD DOW EMR F GE HSBC JNJ KMB KMI LMT PAYX PG PPL QCOM SE TGT WMB WMT WY. Over the next few months as the size of the motif is increased, positions and weightings will be tweaked. Minimum initial purchase is only $500.

It appears to me that motif investing also represents a near perfect solution to the young investor who would like to have a diversified portfilio of many stocks and who would like low costs.

My portfolio holds a few individual tickers but mostly consists of several narowly themed ETFs. ETF exposure did not match my needs for several classes of exposure. That is where the motif account came in very handy. It allows selection of tickers based upon my needs and minimizes costs as well.

Note: This is my first recent move into US big cap exposure except in energy where several individual tickers are held. That is why there is an absence of big oil in the motif.
Alex
I agree that the Motif idea seems like a really good idea for those just starting out. I have made a couple of Motifs and used it to buy a basket of oil related companies a few months ago.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Looks like your timing and selection were pretty good as the motif has held its value well in an environment of generally tumbling prices. My shipping, marine lease, marine financing motif has not done nearly as well, but I'll continue to accumulate during weakness. Upon full weighting will just add from time to time in order to preserve portfolio balance. My banking Motif has stayed about even, but lots of dividends are starting to hit the pot.
Alex