Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dividend Growth Portfolio - Objective: Retire by 50
(03-16-2016, 02:59 PM)Rasec Wrote: One thing I found interesting is that from my current 34 holdings,

2 pay every month - 6%
4 pay on month 1 of the Q - 12%
9 pay on month 2 of the Q - 26%
19 pay on month 3 of the Q - 56%

Is this normal across the spectrum of div. paying companies? Or did I end up with this biased spread by pure chance?

It's not that I'm looking to live out of the divs anytime soon, just though this was an unexpected distribution.

That is interesting. I haven't counted up actual numbers, but for me the second month of the quarter is always the lightest by far. Like you, the lion's share of my dividends come in the third month of each quarter, followed by the first month, with the second month a distant third. I always assumed that everyone would share the same pattern, but apparently not!
(03-16-2016, 03:15 PM)Kerim Wrote:
(03-16-2016, 02:59 PM)Rasec Wrote: One thing I found interesting is that from my current 34 holdings,

2 pay every month - 6%
4 pay on month 1 of the Q - 12%
9 pay on month 2 of the Q - 26%
19 pay on month 3 of the Q - 56%

Is this normal across the spectrum of div. paying companies? Or did I end up with this biased spread by pure chance?

It's not that I'm looking to live out of the divs anytime soon, just though this was an unexpected distribution.

That is interesting. I haven't counted up actual numbers, but for me the second month of the quarter is always the lightest by far. Like you, the lion's share of my dividends come in the third month of each quarter, followed by the first month, with the second month a distant third. I always assumed that everyone would share the same pattern, but apparently not!

I am more like Kerim:
28% M1 of a quarter
20% M2 of a quarter
52% M3 of a quarter
(03-16-2016, 02:40 PM)Rasec Wrote: 1 - GREEN - Done!! Hurray, and done in Feb when the market was in a huge correction so big wins there! It's all Vanguard Mutual funds btw. 
2 - YELLOW - I've invested $16,163k so far in new securities. On track. 
3 - YELLOW - I honestly should have set a harder target. I'm on track for +$6k by EOY without reinvestments or additional purchases. New revised target is $7k. 
4 - GREEN - Trip scheduled for April, Austria + Slovakia + Hungary
5 - YELLOW - I've applied to a couple places and I'm waiting for confirmation, haven't dedicate my full attention to this, will need to revisit in full force in Q3.
6 - RED - no progress (as somehow expected).
7 - RED - no updates on the topic from anyone on the management team, it'll be very hard. 

Just curious, wouldn't 'on track' be green?  Gotta love Vanguard funds & fees.
(03-16-2016, 02:40 PM)Rasec Wrote: 4 - GREEN - Trip scheduled for April, Austria + Slovakia + Hungary

What specifically do you plan to visit in Slovakia?
Bratislava, honestly haven't planned anything yet. But basically it's a trip through Vienna - Bratislava and Budapeste on my way to a conference in Rome.

Any tips?
I have a big decision to make, I've been waiting for my position in EVT to go back to positive and I was planning to sell it as soon as it turned green, which happened today after many months of waiting, however I'm getting cold feet now.

On one side I love those dividends coming in every month, ~9% yield, and feels pretty safe and solid considering it's history. On the other hand I know it has limited to none growth potential therefore, I wanted to sell it and buy something else.

My options are:

I own a significant % of EVT compared to the rest of my portfolio of individual stocks (40% of it to be exact) so this would represent a significant purchase in other stocks. This is where the cold feet begins, as I look out there and the SP500 doesn't present a ton of solutions where I could spend this money right now.

I could sell now and keep the cash waiting for a correction, but I would be missing those 9% every month (or 1/12 of it every month to be more precise)....

Or I could do nothing, continue to invest fresh new money in individual stocks and let this position in EVT DRIP and keep going on as is (it's also my back door to diversification in bonds).
If EVT is a significant portion of your portfolio and you are wanting to diversify, why not simply turn off the DRIP and use its monthly dividends to supplement your fresh cash contributions and diversify as time goes on?

Since EVT doesn't really appreciate in price much it will slowly drop as a % of your holdings as you add more positions.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Really simple idea and yet... I didn't think of it
(04-19-2016, 09:04 PM)Rasec Wrote: Really simple idea and yet... I didn't think of it

That's why this board is great. Always good to have a fresh perspective from the outside =)
Update on my 2016 goals:

1 - Max out my 401k by March (yearly bonus comes in Feb and helps get it done)
2 - Invest at least $50k in the stock market, outside 401K (new money, not including dividends)
3 - Achieve minimal goal of $5k in dividends, $6k is stretch goal. - Revised to $7k. 
4 - Visit at least 1 new country, ideally 2 (did 4 new countries in 2015 ).
5 - Do at least one advanced degree/course in Business or Marketing from a top school in the US
6 - Do a small medical surgery I've been delaying for years (it makes the list every year but it never gets done). 
7 - Extra mile, get promoted!

1 - GREEN - Done!
2 - GREEN - I've invested $27k so far in new securities. Ahead of target.
3 - GREEN - I've collected (and reinvested) $3347 in dividends this H1, so I believe I'll be able to hit $7k by EOY.
4 - GREEN - Austria + Hungary, done. We ended up not going to Slovakia, sorry @lucas03, not enough time. 
5 - GREEN - Got in a custom Marketing executive degree at Wharton Univ. of Pennsylvania starting in August, company sponsors 100%. Extremelly happy I got in!
6 - Got it checked with a couple different doctors, both confirmed there's no reason to worry and to just live with it. Will be removed from the list.
7 - RED - Promotion won't happen this year but got onto the Marketing degree instead and more company equity, can't complain.

Next month marks the 1 year anniversary from the date I decided to "change my life" and I started to save more and invest in DGI. Thank you all for the amazing learnings and sharing of information during this last year! 
Nice job on the goal setting and even nicer job on knocking them down, very impressive.
Awesome job Rasec, year is only half over and you are well on your way!