Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BP, COP, CVX, XOM and others
I'm a strong believer in oil, it's a commodity that will be around for our lifetimes. I jumped in a little early but I'm okay with that since all of my investments except for brokerage account are dripping. At this day and age, I know I'll never accomplish two things: 1) I'll never be able to buy at the bottom of any stock and 2) I'll never be able to sell at the top of the market.

This oil bust is going to give us a lot more opportunities then just oil stocks, great investments available for the long term buyer.
(08-01-2015, 09:52 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote:
(08-01-2015, 04:37 PM)Kerim Wrote: I wouldn't overthink this by trying to get the timing just right. Buy these mammajammas while they are on sale. If they drop more, then buy more and average down.

mammajammas?

mamma jamma
(n.) 1. something that is considered by many to be very sexy and/or boss. 2. synonym for the word "thing"
you peepin' at that hott mamma jamma?
(From UrbanDictionary.com)
(08-02-2015, 10:59 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(08-01-2015, 09:52 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote:
(08-01-2015, 04:37 PM)Kerim Wrote: I wouldn't overthink this by trying to get the timing just right. Buy these mammajammas while they are on sale. If they drop more, then buy more and average down.

mammajammas?

mamma jamma
(n.) 1. something that is considered by many to be very sexy and/or boss. 2. synonym for the word "thing"
you peepin' at that hott mamma jamma?
(From UrbanDictionary.com)

Video explaination of a mamma jamma
Market is down hard today, and oil is down even harder. So why are XOM, CVX, and COP all having nice days? What did I miss?
R2R..Totally agree. I have recently added to CVX and XOM. Will add additional partial positions with further weakness.

M$$I
Someone just made an enormous bet that we'll see further weakness in oil

These puts were bought on XOM about an hour ago

[Image: p0itvR1.png]

9.05 * 100 * 60,000 = $54,300,000

6.30 * 100 * 54,000 = $34,020,000

$88,320,000

(08-19-2015, 11:28 AM)rapidacid Wrote: Someone just made an enormous bet that we'll see further weakness in oil

These puts were bought on XOM about an hour ago

[Image: p0itvR1.png]

9.05 * 100 * 60,000 = $54,300,000

6.30 * 100 * 54,000 = $34,020,000

$88,320,000

Or covering some puts that they sold awhile back?
(08-19-2015, 06:47 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Or covering some puts that they sold awhile back?

Yea, definitely possible ... or rolling fwd

I betting on capitulation in October or perhaps early November. Will continue to feather in at about 10% intervals down.
Alex
Added an increment to COP today, just a modest buy, to pull the weighting back into its target range. Will continue to add to my energy positions, COP, MRO, OXY, XOM, but only to maintain their current weightings of about 11% cumulatively. If capitulation takes place in October, I may buy some trading shares over and above the core, but will likely keep the core weighting in the 10%-12% range for some time. The portfolio also has an 11% weighting in pipeline companies via KED and KMF, so a pretty steep weighting still given to energy, in spite of current market turmoil.
Alex
I have been happy to take the buying opportunities with the current market correction; however, I think oil is a more complicated situation. I emphatically believe the price of oil will go back up; however, I am concerned that earnings will not recover as well. The oil companies are have a real problem replacing reserves.

On a general level, the oil companies have been drastically reducing capital expenditures. The result will be that when the current glut is over, the capacity will not exist to supply the shortage. The oil companies will have to drastically increase their capital expenditures. Trying to revive a cut capital expenditure will cost much more than if the capital expenditures were kept stable.

I think the returns from fracking will be especially impacted. The price of production is highly dependent upon the concentration of the oil and gas. I am concerned that the current low oil price will primarily result in the fracking sweet spots being depleted with little or no profit, leaving much more expensive fracking opportunities. This will impact the smaller oil companies more than the majors, since the majors are not as involved with fracking.
(09-05-2015, 06:35 PM)KenBob Wrote: Trying to revive a cut capital expenditure will cost much more than if the capital expenditures were kept stable.

Can you expand on this?