Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's Bargains?!
(08-24-2015, 11:50 AM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Dammit! Missed out on buying JNJ at $85 this morning. Grrr

Noted that it had dropped as low as $81 and before I knew it, the stock was back in 90s.

Lol, I've started making small changes to our portfolios recently (before last Thursday) and had a little cash to play around with in wifey's portfolio. Had a limit order in on JNJ for $95 thinking that if it got there I'd take advantage of it.

This morning I looked at the futures before the market opened, it was pretty negative so dropped the limit order down to $92 thinking it wouldn't fill. Lo and behold, I get to work and by the time I was able to log in, it had filled at $85 and change on the open. Holy cow ... if I'd known that, I would've bought more. It was supposed to be a top off purchase. Rolleyes
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

There we go. PICK just filled at $9.95, so yes would 'pick' up some BHP at this price! Next buy point $8.95.
Alex
(08-24-2015, 02:23 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 11:50 AM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Dammit! Missed out on buying JNJ at $85 this morning. Grrr

Noted that it had dropped as low as $81 and before I knew it, the stock was back in 90s.

Lol, I've started making small changes to our portfolios recently (before last Thursday) and had a little cash to play around with in wifey's portfolio. Had a limit order in on JNJ for $95 thinking that if it got there I'd take advantage of it.

This morning I looked at the futures before the market opened, it was pretty negative so dropped the limit order down to $92 thinking it wouldn't fill. Lo and behold, I get to work and by the time I was able to log in, it had filled at $85 and change on the open. Holy cow ... if I'd known that, I would've bought more. It was supposed to be a top off purchase. Rolleyes

Congrats on teh purchase, DW. Maybe I should put a lowball offer and leave it at that in case theres a flash crash.
(08-24-2015, 02:42 PM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Congrats on teh purchase, DW. Maybe I should put a lowball offer and leave it at that in case theres a flash crash.

Article from this morning that talks both about coping with days like today and also what Alex / RR are talking about + executing

http://thereformedbroker.com/2015/08/24/...orrection/

(08-24-2015, 03:20 PM)rapidacid Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 02:42 PM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Congrats on teh purchase, DW. Maybe I should put a lowball offer and leave it at that in case theres a flash crash.

Article from this morning that talks both about coping with days like today and also what Alex / RR are talking about + executing

Nice. I like it. I can see the psychological advantage too in that.
(08-24-2015, 03:20 PM)rapidacid Wrote:

Thanks, rapid. That's exactly what I did. I would've been satisfied with JNJ at $92 but $85? Seemed like a gift. Big Grin Since I don't keep much cash on-hand in our accounts, I can't do that very often compared to when I was repositioning the portfolio to dividend growth during the Great Recession. I'm surprised Downtown Josh Brown hasn't mentioned that before.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Did I miss all the bargains already?!

Rebounding nicely
(08-25-2015, 08:45 AM)twil Wrote: Did I miss all the bargains already?!

Rebounding nicely

Still a lot of bargains there. Railroads are very attractively priced, if you want to pick em up.
hmm... interesting situation. I just threw another 1000e into my brokerage account... but not buying anything today. Hoping for the prices to drop a little before the end of the week... though to be honest these prices are already looking pretty good.
Added two speculative positions today: BTE @$4.72 and VNR @$6.83. Also initiated a short term position in BPT at $38.64. None of these are appropriate for a DG investor, but could be multi baggers if they survive until firmer prices. Both BTE and VNR seem to making adjustments to insure their survival in the difficult climate. I'm not sure what would happen if BPTs cost of production becomes higher than market price for crude. IMO crude/liquids contraction has gone too far such that there is little downside risk left.
Alex
Tomorrow I might grab some PH and some EMR. Thoughts?
I really like EMR. No opinion on PH.
Alex