Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's Bargains?!
If DOW 12,000 was in the cards, I would be pretty ticked if all of my cash was deployed at 16,500. I'm not expecting DOW 12,000 any time soon, but am prepared to take advantage should it come. If on the other hand, the market turns and moves up, up and away, I'll also be delighted as my long positions take off. Back in the Fall of 2008, I pulled all of my money out of stable value fund which had held up very well through the correction. I think that the DOW was around 10,000 at the time. All of the proceeds were moved into an array of solid stocks. Then the tumble continued down to 7000 or lower. Boy, I felt really dumb for having gone in all at once as opposed to feathering in. Better to wait for the bottom and then continue feathering in on the way back up. Trading appears to be getting disorderly, and that gives rise to all kinds of irrational outcomes.
Alex
Just to get away from the Oil and Energy sector a bit, to look at something different, these companies are starting to look a lot better...

CPB
DPS
KO
MKC
MO
PEP
PM
RAI
WBA
WMT--Getting hard to ignore!! And I'm not a Walmart fan.
DOV--It's now yielding around 2.7%
MMM--Getting close to that 3% yield
(08-23-2015, 02:06 PM)rayray Wrote: Just to get away from the Oil and Energy sector a bit, to look at something different, these companies are starting to look a lot better...

CPB
DPS
KO
MKC
MO
PEP
PM
RAI
WBA
WMT--Getting hard to ignore!! And I'm not a Walmart fan.
DOV--It's now yielding around 2.7%
MMM--Getting close to that 3% yield

Been tracking DOV for a while, every week it hits a new price alert. I'm tracking UTX and DOW as my next buys
Fresh 52 week lows

[Image: nN29V2g.png]

(08-21-2015, 02:25 PM)Rasec Wrote: Will we see Apple below 100 by Monday?

Yes we will!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-crat...47996.html
Big Grin
Dammit! Missed out on buying JNJ at $85 this morning. Grrr

Noted that it had dropped as low as $81 and before I knew it, the stock was back in 90s.
Holy cow!! I just looked at the Internet for the first time today. Saw that shares were down, but totally missed the excitement this morning! There were some incredible prices!

Edited to add: and prices are recovering quickly, and I am far from my computer and can't trade. Would LOVE to be buying today. Frustrating! Anyone here set up to trade on your phone? Do you trust it?
I had to use TD Ameritrade's Trader app last week as my internet went out in the midst of all the initial excitement.

I trust it.

I think.

Anyone feeling brave enough to take on some BHP at this price?
I've got some BHP by way of a 3.5% weighting in PICK. PICK is approximately 18% BHP. My next buy point is at $9.95 and shares are trading at $10.21. No not tempted at the moment, unless today's low of $10 get taken out by a few cents, as my GTC order is ready and waiting.
Alex
(08-24-2015, 11:56 AM)Kerim Wrote: Holy cow!! I just looked at the Internet for the first time today. Saw that shares were down, but totally missed the excitement this morning! There were some incredible prices!

Edited to add: and prices are recovering quickly, and I am far from my computer and can't trade. Would LOVE to be buying today. Frustrating! Anyone here set up to trade on your phone? Do you trust it?

Same here, sitting at the beach watching the news on my phone and dying to buy some stuff but Vanguard mobile app makes me nervous.
Why use the mobile app? I simply use the internet link and trade as usual when not at home. That is with TDA. Never had a problem. I never use public wifi for any business however. Prices are weakening as the day progresses. That should give a big red flag for caution in buying. A close with weakening prices in late afternoon, probably means a continued sell off tomorrow. I would be very careful what I considered a 'bargain' as today's bargain may look very expensive tomorrow or next week, especially for anything energy related. My plan as posted earlier, is slow incremental buying with buys spread out by double digit drops. Feather in slowly, and keep plenty of dry powder to follow the market to near its lows. That way I probably won't get much at the lows, but I won't buy too much at the higher prices either.
Alex