Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you handle rough performance?
Of course, we try to "buy on he dips" and purchase value--but time in the market is often a surer bet than timing the market (to misquote anonymous). I focus mostly on yield; how much are my investment throwing off, and here sound choices pay off ... literally! A few months ago my taxable portfolio was just over $360, and today it’s about $343--ouch, right? But wait, from the beginning of this year my dividend payout (though I mostly DRIP) has grown almost 5% --and that's with a few cuts, freezes and one eliminating dividends altogether!

Nobodies likes to watch they're capitol vanish (even though today my portfolio is still worth much more than what I "paid" for it), but if the goal is income with buy and hold as the strategy--it really is little more than noise. LOUD AND OBNOXIUOS yes, but still just noise.

I keep in mind 3 simple truths:
1. Think before you buy--this should get you into sound companies (for the most part)
2. You will make mistakes--sell and move on, or sweat it out; but just accept we're none of us perfect
3. Judge the value of your portfolio by the income it’s generating (if that includes capital gains, then so be it.) For me, O going down just means better time to buy O.

There are several here who, in addition to DGI, also trade; and they see (and experience) success in this strategy. I usually don’t “trade” unless I see a silly profit happening (because what I sell, I lose income from). But that’s just me

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you handle rough performance? - by benjamen - 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
RE: How do you handle rough performance? - by ronn38 - 06-08-2015, 01:04 PM
RE: How do you handle rough performance? - by 800peace - 06-09-2015, 03:31 PM