Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New taxable portfolio
I started a Dividend Growth portfolio in my Roth, but now that I'm debt free I'm starting in my taxable account as well. I've got all the gold standards and first round draft picks in my Roth and now I'm looking at what stocks to put in my other one. When picking stocks, do most people treat them as a combined portfolio and avoid doubling up on some of the same stocks or do you view them as completely separate entities?
Separate. I double up.

I DRIP my Roth but take cash for the taxable. The Roth is DRIPped because the dividends are currently smaller and it would take too long to accumulate enough cash to make a purchase fee efficient.

I have lots of the same names in both the tax advantaged and the taxable accounts, so I treat them all as a single portfolio. For me it just evolved this way over the years, as I had funds available in different places when opportunities arose. At a high level, I have tried to get the higher-yielding stuff into the tax advantaged accounts, but it hasn't always worked out that way. My highest priority has been to pounce on opportunities when they arise!
I consider them separate but also take into consideration what is in the other portfolio. If I am heavily overweighted a company in my IRA, I would be much less likely to add it to my cash account simply for diversification purposes.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I consider them one portfolio, and I try to sort the higher current yield stocks into the Roth to minimize taxes, as well as REITs to simplify taxes. I rarely have the same stock in both, although right now I have doubled up with some GILD in my Roth hoping to capture some tax free growth.
I consider my Roth and Brokerage accounts as one portfolio. To make things easier I don't drip divi's in the brokerage account, in the Roth it depends if a stock is overvalued or not. I do max out my kplan, Roth then if I have something left over it goes into the brokerage.