Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intro to DGI
Someone at work recently approached me with a question about investing, and it was apparent that he's pretty much a beginner. I ranted at some length about how the price of a stock by itself doesn't tell you anything, and about valuation, DGI, etc, but honestly I just don't have the time or the organized approach to educate someone from the ground up. I learned by sifting through articles on Seeking Alpha in 2013, happening upon articles by DGI bloggers, deciding the strategy made sense, and it has served as a foundation for my understanding of markets in general, but I would not want to tell a new investor to just start reading SA and leave him to his own devices.

So my question is: Can you recommend a site or an article that does a good job of introducing DGI to a new investor?
(05-17-2015, 05:45 PM)earthtodan Wrote: Someone at work recently approached me with a question about investing, and it was apparent that he's pretty much a beginner. I ranted at some length about how the price of a stock by itself doesn't tell you anything, and about valuation, DGI, etc, but honestly I just don't have the time or the organized approach to educate someone from the ground up. I learned by sifting through articles on Seeking Alpha in 2013, happening upon articles by DGI bloggers, deciding the strategy made sense, and it has served as a foundation for my understanding of markets in general, but I would not want to tell a new investor to just start reading SA and leave him to his own devices.

So my question is: Can you recommend a site or an article that does a good job of introducing DGI to a new investor?
Hey Dan, I am still sorting through the book but Eric recommended The Single Best Investment by Lowell Miller. I find that book to have some good info, just a little tough (for someone new like myself) to read. Having someone like yourself to bounce things off of helps also.. plus they can learn a lot from this site.
Jim
The Dividend Mantra and Dividend Growth Investor blogs comes to mind.
I learned a lot from both.
I wrote an article a while back that talked generally about the pluses of investing in DGI and had links to several resources and some of my favorite DGI authors at the end.

Depending on his interest level and how much he likes to read, basically anything from David Van Knapp and Chowder on Seeking Alpha are worth his time. Chowder had several blogs about the basics of DGI with many great comment threads with more information.

Then, as Jimbo said, if does some digging and likes what he sees, he could read The Single Best Investment for a deeper depth of knowledge.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
The Conservative Income Investor (Tim McAleenan Jr.) is another great place for beginners.
Thanks guys, good recommendations. I downloaded SBI and it looks like a great starter kit. It's a bit tilted toward high yield investing for my taste, but that's just me being finicky. I'll send it his way.

Eric, I like your article but it's probably over my coworker's head for now.
I was in a similar position to your co-worker, an investing newbie, a couple of months ago. The following things opened up the world of DGI for me:

1) As others have suggested SBI was great for a beginner like me. It convinced me do more research on DGI, which I eventually chose as my investment approach.

2) Josh Peter's "Dividend Playbook" is good. The material in this is similar to SBI and I think SBI is better, but "Dividend Playbook" is still good. I'm not sure if there is an online PDF of this.

3) I would consider showing him some of Dividend Mantra's more inspirational/investing mindset blog entries. I think these are good for beginners and they show what is possible with DGI.

4) You and this forum. Big Grin It is great that he can ask questions and talk to knowledgeable DGIer(s).