Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy
Howdy, ExDripper here. Glad to have stumbled across a Dividend Investing Forum. The M* Forum is at times a little too much dart throwing for me. Big Grin

As you can guess from my chosen username, I'm an ex dripper. I moved from a transfer agent to brokerage because it's impossible to catch hills or valleys when the transfer agent measures time with a calendar. However, I am concerned and have questions about brokerage registration so I'll ask about that in another thread.

I currently hold only a few stocks, most investments are in mutual funds.
In order of largest to smallest holdings:

ABBV
ABT
XOM
AEP
EIX
JNJ
KO
GE
PG
KMI

I want to purchase a few more positions, but it will involve selling some of the top 5 with capital gains, so I'm dragging my feet. I'd like some T, UTX, TGT or COST, CVX & RDS.B, for now. I don't like financials, but would probably dip my toe in the water for a small position in WFC.

Interestingly, this morning I listened to a retired missionary talking about Coke. Apparently, there is nowhere in Africa you can't buy Coke. It's everywhere! Medicine and medical supplies are thin or non-existant, consumer comfort items are scarce, food can be hit or miss, but Coke is always available.
Welcome ExDripper, glad to have you!

(04-28-2015, 02:26 PM)ExDripper Wrote: Interestingly, this morning I listened to a retired missionary talking about Coke. Apparently, there is nowhere in Africa you can't buy Coke. It's everywhere! Medicine and medical supplies are thin or non-existant, consumer comfort items are scarce, food can be hit or miss, but Coke is always available.

Wasn't coke marketed as medicinal in its very early days?
(04-28-2015, 02:52 PM)Kerim Wrote: Welcome ExDripper, glad to have you!

(04-28-2015, 02:26 PM)ExDripper Wrote: Interestingly, this morning I listened to a retired missionary talking about Coke. Apparently, there is nowhere in Africa you can't buy Coke. It's everywhere! Medicine and medical supplies are thin or non-existant, consumer comfort items are scarce, food can be hit or miss, but Coke is always available.

Wasn't coke marketed as medicinal in its very early days?

I don't know, but my grandparents called it "Dope." Want a bottle of dope?" my Grandmother would ask when I was a little kid. It must have had something in it besides sugar.
Welcome, ExDripper. Glad you joined us.

Nice list of stocks there. So why are you an ex dripper?

(04-28-2015, 02:52 PM)Kerim Wrote: Wasn't coke marketed as medicinal in its very early days?

From Snopes:
Quote:Coca-Cola was named back in 1885 for its two "medicinal" ingredients: extract of coca leaves and kola nuts. Just how much cocaine was originally in the formulation is hard to determine, but the drink undeniably contained some cocaine in its early days. Frederick Allen describes the public attitude towards cocaine that existed as Coca-Cola's developers worked on perfecting their formula in 1891:
The first stirrings of a national debate had begun over the negative aspects of cocaine, and manufacturers were growing defensive over charges that use of their products might lead to "cocainism" or the "cocaine habit". The full-throated fury against cocaine was still a few years off, and Candler and Robinson were anxious to continue promoting the supposed benefits of the coca leaf, but there was no reason to risk putting more than a tiny bit of coca extract in their syrup. They cut the amount to a mere trace.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.a...r7Eq0Hh.99
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Welcome to the forum, ExDripper.

Like you, I tried dripping shares a couple of years ago, and got frustrated since the transfer agents take days to act. Nicely put - "it's impossible to catch hills or valleys when the transfer agent measures time with a calendar".

cheers
(04-29-2015, 12:17 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Welcome, ExDripper. Glad you joined us.

Nice list of stocks there. So why are you an ex dripper?

Transfer agents move way too slowly. Transacting on Thursdays at 2:14pm unless there's a full moon, then at 3:26pm, just doesn't cut it when trying to buy on dips, ya know? Big Grin

From Snopes:
Quote:Coca-Cola was named back in 1885 for its two "medicinal" ingredients: extract of coca leaves and kola nuts. Just how much cocaine was originally in the formulation is hard to determine, but the drink undeniably contained some cocaine in its early days. Frederick Allen describes the public attitude towards cocaine that existed as Coca-Cola's developers worked on perfecting their formula in 1891:
The first stirrings of a national debate had begun over the negative aspects of cocaine, and manufacturers were growing defensive over charges that use of their products might lead to "cocainism" or the "cocaine habit". The full-throated fury against cocaine was still a few years off, and Candler and Robinson were anxious to continue promoting the supposed benefits of the coca leaf, but there was no reason to risk putting more than a tiny bit of coca extract in their syrup. They cut the amount to a mere trace.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.a...r7Eq0Hh.99
[/quote]

Interesting info. Thanks for posting it. I'd always assumed Coke was named such because of cocaine as an ingredient. I don't drink sodas actually, and haven't for years.

(04-29-2015, 07:37 AM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Welcome to the forum, ExDripper.

Like you, I tried dripping shares a couple of years ago, and got frustrated since the transfer agents take days to act. Nicely put - "it's impossible to catch hills or valleys when the transfer agent measures time with a calendar".

cheers

Yeah, there's not a snowballs chance of catching a good buy. Supposedly it evens out in the long run, but I got tired of paying too much. A LOT can happen in 2-3 days.
Welcome to the forum, I'm an ex-dripper too. Manually reinvesting dividends is more engaging, plus there's something appealing about not holding synthetic fractional shares. If you add the dividends to a regular purchase or if you have free trades, there's no added cost.