Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to DGF
The beauty of DGI is that you can ignore the G/L column. Not one of those 3 companies cut their dividends so who cares what Mr. Market says that they are worth at this moment. Also if the stock goes down a lot without a change in their fundamentals, you now have a great buying opportunity.
(05-11-2015, 04:38 PM)ChadR Wrote: The beauty of DGI is that you can ignore the G/L column. Not one of those 3 companies cut their dividends so who cares what Mr. Market says that they are worth at this moment. Also if the stock goes down a lot without a change in their fundamentals, you now have a great buying opportunity.

Great. Thanks Chad.
The gain/loss includes the commissions you spent on the transactions. So if the price is at your cost basis but you spent $9.99, you'll show a starting loss of $9.99.
(05-11-2015, 04:38 PM)ChadR Wrote: The beauty of DGI is that you can ignore the G/L column. Not one of those 3 companies cut their dividends so who cares what Mr. Market says that they are worth at this moment. Also if the stock goes down a lot without a change in their fundamentals, you now have a great buying opportunity.

Agreed. You got very solid companies there and at reasonable cost bases. Don't be nervous when you see the red in the G/L column -- especially for these companies. I like to use that to see if I want to add more. If the loss gets greater than 10%, perhaps you'd want to add another small chunk.

Great start.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Good start. I'm eyeing JNJ myself and will probably make a purchase during this week.
Have a question on ROE (return on Equity). As I am educating I am finding one of the healthy criteria in selecting a company is an ROE of 15% or greater. The PM stock seems to be having ROE of -64.67% -- This seems to be way under the desired value.
(05-12-2015, 08:43 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Don't be nervous when you see the red in the G/L column -- especially for these companies. I like to use that to see if I want to add more. If the loss gets greater than 10%, perhaps you'd want to add another small chunk.

Perfect answer, DW!

It is not at all unusual for recent buys to dip into the red. That only reflects the fact that short-term price fluctuations are normal and impossible to predict. If you've chosen great companies (like the ones you have), over the years the price will increase as earnings per share and dividends slowly climb. That is the hope, anyway. But as others have said, better to keep your attention on the income stream that you have purchased.

But just like DW says, when one of my favorites is in the red like that, my first thought is "time to consider buying more!". If I liked XOM enough at $92 to buy it then, I should love it at $87.
(05-18-2015, 09:03 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 08:43 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Don't be nervous when you see the red in the G/L column -- especially for these companies. I like to use that to see if I want to add more. If the loss gets greater than 10%, perhaps you'd want to add another small chunk.

Perfect answer, DW!

It is not at all unusual for recent buys to dip into the red. That only reflects the fact that short-term price fluctuations are normal and impossible to predict. If you've chosen great companies (like the ones you have), over the years the price will increase as earnings per share and dividends slowly climb. That is the hope, anyway. But as others have said, better to keep your attention on the income stream that you have purchased.

But just like DW says, when one of my favorites is in the red like that, my first thought is "time to consider buying more!". If I liked XOM enough at $92 to buy it then, I should love it at $87.

Thanks Kerim.

Guys,

Also have a question!

As of now I have JNJ, KO and PM for my initial 3K.

Started to do the monthly 1k, and ready to acquire fairly priced decent stocks. I am thinking of WMT, O, OHI, UNP.

Any thoughts or feedback?

Thanks.
Paul
I would rank them in order of current attractiveness as UNP, OHI, O then WMT.

UNP is trading at fair value for the first time in about a year and a half and OHI is nice with a 6% yield.

I like O as well, but its still a bit expensive in my own opinion.

I sold WMT last fall due to the declining growth rate and relatively weak dividend yield. Just not enough growth there for my tastes.

Long UNP, O, OHI.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(05-18-2015, 01:19 PM)EricL Wrote: I would rank them in order of current attractiveness as UNP, OHI, O then WMT.

UNP is trading at fair value for the first time in about a year and a half and OHI is nice with a 6% yield.

I like O as well, but its still a bit expensive in my own opinion.

I sold WMT last fall due to the declining growth rate and relatively weak dividend yield. Just not enough growth there for my tastes.

Long UNP, O, OHI.

Thanks!
(05-18-2015, 01:19 PM)EricL Wrote: I would rank them in order of current attractiveness as UNP, OHI, O then WMT.

Agreed, in fact I've been fattening up my UNP position quite a bit here.
(05-12-2015, 05:10 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: Have a question on ROE (return on Equity). As I am educating I am finding one of the healthy criteria in selecting a company is an ROE of 15% or greater. The PM stock seems to be having ROE of -64.67% -- This seems to be way under the desired value.

SIL, I posted a new thread here addressing your question. I hope it helps! Any questions, ask away there.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan